Epilogue

Two months later

"Miss Emily Kent," A manly voice said, "How have you been?" I closed my eyes and felt the breeze lift my hair around me. "Just fine." I answered quietly. I turned my neck at an angle towards the voice. "Steven Dotson. Please give me a moment."

"Angie baby, you aren't allowed to do that or else we would have to go back inside and your playtime will be cut short." Angie stuck her bottom lip out and dropped the stick she was using to torment the grass.

"I'm glad the court ruled in your favor, I've been meaning to visit you." He said quietly. "You truly are an inspiration. Coming back here to work." I smiled and I watched Angie running around.

"I'm going to visit Eric later today." I said. "That bastard? Why?" He asked me. "I'm working on forgiving him." "He destroyed your family." "But I won't let him destroy my life."

~•~

"Eric." I murmured, I watched as he leaned back in his chair confidently, his five o'clock shadow adding to his mysterious edge. "I refuse to let you have the last laugh." I continued.

"So the court ruled in favor of cancelling my sentence to the asylum. One point Emily zero points Eric. However I work at Fordingbridge Asylum, I work with the kids." Eric looked blankly at me, it felt like he was almost looking through me.

"I sold my old home and I bought a little cottage seeing as it was my birthday last month and I'm officially an adult. I'm going to move on with my life and I just wanted you to know, I still hate you with almost every fiber of my being. But I am working on forgiving you." I stated firmly.

Eric finally looked at me, like really looked at me, "You think you've won but the truth is you've lost. And I have won. I control your daily thoughts, I control a place in your heart, I control what you do in your daily routine, I control your job. You'll never get rid of me, you'll never get rid of the thought of me. Emily Kent I own you."

I slammed my hand down in frustration, I had tried, I had tried forgiving him. "No you don't," I got up with force from the chair, "while I get to stand up and leave this prison, you have to stay here confined and treated like the animal you are. It's over Eric. I win."