289 days left

It had been a little over a week since I found out Eric was M and the guy behind the murder of my family. Since then I had been living in solitude only receiving one meal a day brought by Dr Davids as per my request.

I had diarized everything I could over the past few days. I have recorded myself reading out my plan from the pocket notebook. Now I was ready, I have focused on detaching my emotions. I buzzed for Dr Davids, he came within a few minutes.

"I just want to go to the game room please." I said. He nodded and led me out, "I recommend that you go back on a proper diet of 3 meals per day." He told me. "No." I responded just as we reached the game room. He sighed as he swiped his keycard opening the door.

Eric was in there with another patient and a nurse who seem to be sedating a person. I walked to the book shelf and put The Fault In Our Stars back. I took out another book it was a murder mystery, I looked at Eric and gave him, what hopefully was a convincing smile.

He said something to the nurse who glanced at me then continued what she was doing. Eric opened the game room and took me to my room. After pressing record on the recorder in my pocket, I looked at Eric, "Feel like I haven't seen you in ages." I said quietly sitting on the bed. "How are you feeling?" He asked me, I noticed that he genuinely didn't care.

He managed to make each of his words sound emotionless, he was so detached. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard it before. "Like every fiber in my body wants to give up, give up this fruitless search of the killer. They've already given me my death date. I have nothing to live for." I said casting my eyes down as I let a tear escape.

Eric came to sit next to me placing his arm around my waist. I felt my heart skip a beat thinking he would find the recorder but I kept a poker face. He buried his face in the crook of my neck, "Emily don't you ever give up, you're a fighter and I like that." He murmured.

I felt a chill go down my spine. I hated him and here he was acting like he was innocent and cared about my well-being but all I was to him was a thrill. He thought he was going to get away with it, playing me along the way.

"I don't have the strength. I'm tired of playing the killers games." I responded looking at my wall. Eric moved away and looked at me, "What happens when the killer gets bored? What if he decides you no longer give him a thrill? What would I do without you Emily?" He asked, on the surface it seemed a bit harmless but because I knew he was the supposed 'killer,' I saw it as an underlying threat.

"You'll only lose me on the 31 of January next year. Till then don't worry, I'm not going anywhere." I said firmly but I wiped a nonexistent tear for effect. "Okay, I have to go back to my patient upstairs." Eric said, he placed a kiss on my lips and gave me a lopsided smile before he left.

Once he was gone I moved to the basin and washed my mouth with water. I stared at the wall and gave myself a motivational speech. I can do this!