13

Aaron's Pov:

"How is she?" I asked as Prentiss walked back over away from the nurses.

"Better. The doctors said she's stable and ready to talk with us as long as her parents are okay with it of course."

"They said it would be okay, whatever will help us with this case." I said turning back around to the parents who sat in the waiting room, her mother looked exhausted and pained, and her father was stricken. Emily nodded taking a breath.

"Then let's go." She said quietly turning to the room. Once we entered Alyssa's eyes widened and she immediately looked away from the two of us.

"Hi Alyssa." Emily stared softly.
"You might not remember us but we were there-"

"Your the ones who found me and ruined me. Yeah how could I forget. If it wasn't for you if be dead where I should be." I stared at her surprised by her snapping attitude. Emily seemed somewhat surprised but still managed to remain calm.

"It's understandable that your upset with us, but your also upset at Cara right now aren't you? She's the reason you did this?"

"Shes not alive. It's been past the time where teenage girls come out of these cases alive. I'm not stupid. I watch cop shows, the news, reality tv, movies, I know it. I'm not gonna move on and pretend that everything's okay like everyone else in this stupid town is. Cara doesn't deserve this and whoever did this to her-" she cut herself off and I looked at Emily but she kept her focus on Alyssa.

"There isn't a way of knowing for sure Cara is dead until we find her body. And we haven't. She could still be alive out there and imagine that if she comes back, and her girlfriends dead? How would she react?" I asked gently. Alyssa looked at me and shook her head.

"You don't get it. No one gets it. We love each other. Not like, but love and our families can't see that. Mine can, but Cara's? They hate the idea of her with me. They think it's a sin even if we hold hands with one another." She paused and took a breath.

"I just, I don't want them to think I'm a bad person. I'm not. Why can't they act as if it's normal for us to date? We're human beings, it's not like she's dating a wild animal, or a dog. I am human and they choose to ignore me. Ignore their daughters feelings."

"Some people can't understand what it's like to be in love, Alyssa." Emily said softly.
"I mean sure they are possibly married to someone else and probably love them, but everyone loves someone in a different way and for different reasons." I looked at Emily surprised. I didn't think she would have so much to say about this kind of topic. She's usually either defending herself to me or making snappy replies.

"I just want to know that she's okay. And I can't. Her parents don't even know the real her yet and she could die, it's horrible." She said weakly staring back down at her blankets.
"She just doesn't-" she paused and shrugged.

"Or didn't I suppose, past tense. She didn't want to tell her parents about me and I totally get it but, it still hurts."

Now Emily and I were both quiet not knowing what to say, and scared that whatever we did say would be the wrong thing.

"Right. You two don't want to hear about a depressed teens issues. You just want to get answers about Cara. Go ahead ask away."

"Maybe we should come back later." I said softly and Emily nodded a little.

"No. Look I'm sorry. I'm serious, ask questions. I want to help you find her even if she is dead or alive. I need answers and so does Alexis, I'd hate to leave her alone in that house without her sister."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked and she shook her head.

"You met her parents. They are so strict, they scan over every text that's sent, make them go to church, they can't be out past seven, can't hang out with any friends unless they know who they are. It's ridiculous."

"I'm guessing they acted like that so something like this didn't happen." Emily said and Alyssa nodded a little.

"I guess. But-" she paused and shook her head.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing." She bit her lip and I turned my head.

"Alyssa if you withhold anything from us you know that can qualify as a federal charge."

"I know. It's just-I don't think-" she stopped talking again trying to figure out the right words to say.
"I'm not sure about this. But lately Cara has been acting different. And one time I noticed a huge purplish bruise that looked like it hurt like hell, on her arm by accident when she was showing me one of her dances because her sleeve rolled up."

I glanced back at Emily and she looked at me then back over at Alyssa raising her eyebrows. That would explain some of the things that I had noticed, but not all of them. It created more questions in my head too.

"So you think that Cara and Alexis's parents were hurting them?" Emily asked

"I don't think they were hurting Alexis, just Cara. When I tried to talk to her about it she would get all weird and stop talking or tell me she fell, or she would completely change the subject."

"If her parents don't know about Cara and you yet, then why would they decide to take it out on her?"

"I don't know-honestly I don't. Alexis loves to get Cara in trouble, but I don't think she would spill this secret to their parents. I don't even think Cara's mom would be capable of this. It's just her dad."

"Why her dad?" I asked noticing the tears starting to form in her eyes, she shook her head again and wiped at her eyes that had bags under them.

"Because he used to be a raging alcoholic, I think he might've started up again recently. I'm not positive though, it's just she stopped hanging out with me, we used to sneak out and see a movie together every Tuesday. Or we'd talk on her patio together, go on walks, it all just stopped and she could never hang out."

"Okay, thank you, we'll contact you if we need anything else." She nodded took Emily's card.

"Agents. Do you think this is my fault? Her getting abducted and her parents and all of it. It just all comes back to me and I can't help but feel as if I'm the one to blame."

I watched as Emily took a step forward and reached out to grab Alyssa's bandaged up hand carefully, she also gave her a small, warm, smile.

"None of this is because of you. Okay? You don't choose who you fall in love with, you can't help it. It's not something you can hide forever and you and Cara are brave enough to admit it to one another. Your strong and I think your more stronger then you think."

Alyssa smiled a little at Emily's words making me somewhat surprised, minutes ago this girl was being rude and snappy to us, and now she was smiling and being open and honest. Maybe I was actually wrong about Emily, maybe she would be a good addition to the team.

"Ready to go talk to the parents again?" I asked as we walked out and noticed the anger in Prentiss's eyes.

"Oh you have no idea."  She said shaking her head furiously.