26

Emily's Pov:

When Aaron started pairing everyone up in groups to go investigate the case I started to realize that the way that he was doing it meant him and I were gonna have to be the ones that work together on it. I wasn't sure about if he was gonna make me be alone or go with him until I heard my name come out of his mouth.

Instead of sitting there dumbstruck I managed to give him a nod of confirmation then looked back down at the case file laying in my lap hoping that he'd take his eyes off of me. Whenever I felt him staring I felt his judgement, and his dislike towards me.

Sure he's been somewhat kind to me lately, but for all I know it could be an act. Only god knows what this mans attitude was going to be that minute. I couldn't tell if he still completely hated me or not, but part of me thinks he's grown a little fond of me at least?

After the jet landed we all split up with who we were going with in the waiting black SUV's waiting for us. I got into the passenger side of the car and he got into the drivers seat not even asking if I wanted to drive instead. I put my bag in the backseat then buckled my seat belt waiting patiently.

He pulled out his phone and placed out the GPS for directions that Garcia must've already sent him to get to where we needed to be. The first few minutes were silent until I finally spoke up not being able to stand how uncomfortable this was.

"So um Garcia told you about me staying right?" I asked hoping although it was a stupid question it would spark up some conversation between us. I mean unless he really wanted us to stay silent for another fifteen minutes or more calculated by the GPS. I could do it but if I really did decide to work here then we were gonna have to put our differences aside and manage to at least respect one another, right?

"Yeah she told me about it this morning before you all arrived. I also you know, put two and two together when I saw you in the conference room this morning." He said in a obvious tone making me nod.

"Right. So uh you don't have a problem with it do you, because I know that things between us have been pretty rocky from the start and if I work here I don't want to get my idea shit down by you just because-"

"Look this is all on you, I rarely let my personal life affect my decision making during this job. Besides I think we both know that you made it pretty clear you don't care about my opinion on things." He said.
"But..it's not that big of a problem for me." He added. I looked over at him a little relieved.

"Okay." It stayed silent for a while after that, not knowing what else to say I gave up on counting on myself to be the outgoing one here. So it surprised me when he spoke up first.

"What made you stay? If you don't mind me asking that is."

"No uh it's fine. I'm honestly not sure. Maybe it was Garcia's constant persuading and nonstop spamming me wth text messages about it."

"Well that makes sense..Garcia has a way of getting what she wants." He said.

"That doesn't surprise me I mean she just is so caring and I don't think I've ever met anyone that I've liked instantly so quickly."

"Well there's Jack."

"Oh good this." I whispered.

"I'm just saying you seemed to like him pretty quickly for letting him in your house and helping him out."

"Yeah. But agin he was bleeding in my defense."

"You're right he was. So thank you for making sure that he was okay." I looked back over at him slowly.

"What?"

"What? Is it a surprise to hear me thank someone for something?"

"I mean..yeah." I admitted and he laughed-the first time I've ever heard him laugh. Granted I haven't known him long, and I only knew him a short while as a teenager but still I've never heard it. It was weird to hear it coming from such a stern man like him but also it was good to see he could open up.

Once we arrived at the house, we both walked in and went straight to work. I followed Hotch up the stairs and he went into the bathroom while I went into the victim's room scanning everything that I saw for clues as I slid the blue latex gloves on. There were yellow numbered cards by the bloodstains on the carpet, along with the broken glass near the dresser.

I saw a photograph on the night stand of Henry and his boyfriend which was them at the beach together holding hands, they seemed to be happy but then again you could fake any emotion in a simple photo. When I turned away I looked back at the bloodstains and squatted so I could get a better feel of what had happened here really.

They looked smudged like Henry was putting up a fight, they also were darker in some areas then others which meant he had to have been stopped in one area for a few extra seconds. So either this is where he managed to throw in a good fight or it's where he was officially killed. Being in the position I was in I saw a small shiny reflection off of the sun underneath the dresser.

I put my hand underneath it and to my own surprise I pulled up a silver smooth ring. I stood back up and held it squinting to see if I would notice any details, if it was a part of this case or just a piece of jewelry either Henry or his boyfriend had dropped on accident and forgotten to pick it up. But just to be on the safe side of things I called over an officer and asked her to bag it. Hotch walked in when he saw that and nodded.

"Where was that?"

"Underneath the dresser, maybe it was already there before Henry's death but considering how neat everything in this house is I feel like they wouldn't have left it there."

"Safe call. We'll bring it to the station and see what we can do with it. Whoever did this made the mistake of leaving a clear fingerprint on the mirror so when we felt that back it'll help as well."

I nodded and turned back around looking at the room again shaking my head. It was terrible and incredibly sad seeing a scene where someone had died. It's part of the job to quickly get over things like this but I wasn't as prone to it yet as everyone else was, I felt pain looking at this.

"You alright?" He asked snapping me out of my self pitying thoughts, I managed a nod feeling a loss for words then pushed a piece of strand hair behind my ear.

"We should probably finish up looking around the rest of the house so we can go compare with Rossi and Morgan." I said walking out of the bedroom not being able to handle being in there any longer.