23

Aaron's Pov:

When I pulled into the driveway I saw Emily's driveway was still empty and I wondered where she was at this time then bothered not to worry about it. I got out of the door and pulled out my bags then went up the steps.

I shut the door behind me as I came into the house, after I'd placed my bag down on the table and taken my shoes off I went into the living room and saw Jack was watching tv dressed and ready for school while Jessica was next to him finishing up some paperwork.

"Daddy you're home!" Jack said as he got up off of the couch and went running over to home wrapping his arms around my legs. I smiled and bent down so I could hug him better and looked over at Jessica.

"How was the case?" She asked and I looked at Jack then back at her.

"Well we caught the bad guy."

"You did?"

"We did."

"Awesome!" He said happily and I chuckled softly standing back up. Jessica stood up as she gathered up all her paperwork and gave me a smile.

"We should get going if we want to get Jack to school on time." I nodded and saw Jack frowning making a small amount of pity rush through me.

"Jack buddy why don't you go put your plate in the sink?" I asked and he nodded as he went back to where he was sitting then picked up the dirty plate then he went running into the kitchen with it.

"Hey so uh I was talking with Jack last night and I didn't want to call you because I didn't want to make you worried while you were working but uh-he told me he had a nightmare about Haley." Jessica said and I looked at her surprised.

"What did he remember?" I asked worriedly as I crossed my arms over my chest hoping that he didn't remember anything about his mothers death.

"He didn't go into details that much he was just really upset and had to sleep with me the rest of the night. I know he shouldn't be sleeping with me and all but I just I couldn't help it." She said as she put her coat on.

"No-no it's okay. I would've done the same thing if I were here." I said nodding as I closed my eyes taking a breath.

"Aaron you know I support you doing your job fully and I love spending time with Jack after everything that happened with my sister..but I think it would be best if you took some time off and maybe just sat and talked with him? Lately he's been acting so different and he isn't necessarily the bright bubbly kid he used to be which is upsetting to me. I think running away was a way to show us he was lashing out."

She finished talking and stared at me worriedly like she thought I was gonna blow up on her for saying any of that, instead I just nodded. I knew she was right, I should spend more time with my son but when I did it hurt considering how much he reminded me of Hayley.

"Alright I'll work a few things out in my schedule and I'll see what I can do to take time off."

"That's great. I know he'd appreciate spending more time with his dad. Plus I think Hayley would definitely appreciate it if she were still here."

"She would. She'd also call me a jerk for being so involved in my work instead of our son." I stated and she nodded.

Jack came running back in the living room with his Jacket and backpack on ready to go for the day.

"Alright buddy lets go." Jessica said with a smile on her face as she grabbed her keys.

"Um I'm gonna take him back to my place tonight if that's okay?" She asked and I nodded.

"Bye daddy I love you." Jack said as he hugged me again and I returned it with another small smile on my face watching as they both left for the day. I stood in the empty living room rethinking what Jessica and I talked about.