Foster Talks

I was sitting on the counter while drinking coffee, half conscience and zombie-like. It’s like a morning routine, staring at the bottom of the mug and zoning out. All of a sudden, I was wondering on how Andy was doing. Has he moved on or is he feeling whatever I’m feeling about whatever happened to us? Sometimes, I feel like grabbing my phone and dial his but I would always wimp out. I honestly miss him a lot. I was still shocked that we fought. It was as if he turned from point A to Z in under a second. It was the first time I ever saw him change that quick. I wanted to forget all about that, but curiosity wouldn’t let me do it. Curse you, curiosity.  

            A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts.

            I groaned because I know that it was Mark. He still knocks on the door that way and I don’t know how I could tell that it was him. “Hi, Fosters.”

            “Hey, kiddo.” Mark helped himself in going in with Austin on his shoulders, “How’s Ryan?”

            “He’s doing fine.” I nodded,

            “Okay, now I’m worried about you. You look like crap.”           

            “Thanks.” I smiled wryly,

            He smiled back, “Why can’t I worry about you anymore?”

            “Because you have that little rascal to worry about.” I pointed at Austin,

            “But I like to worry about you too.” He pouted,

            I rolled my eyes and went back to my coffee.

            Mark sat across me and set Austin next to him, “So, how are you?”

            “I’m fine. You?”

            “I’m great.” He nodded, “Nothing in mind?”

            “Not that I know of.”

            “Daddy, I’m hungry.” Austin frowned,

            “You are?” I asked,

            He nodded.

            “Yea, so am I.” Mark added,

            “You’re always hungry!” I scowled, “You can have my coffee, Austin.”

            “Nu uh!” Mark exclaimed, “No, he’s not touching coffee until I say so!”

            “Relax, I was just kidding. What’s wrong with you?”

            “I don’t want him to turn into a zombie just like you. No thank you.”

            I giggled, “What ever happened to the perky potato?”

            “It’s somewhere in there, I hope. How’s work?”

            “Not my busy days, yet. No shows?”

            “We’re getting old, kiddo.”

            “Come on, you’re not that old. My grandpa could still do summersaults even if he’s in his deathbed already.” I teased, “You used to look so energetic. What happened, gramps?”

            “Going on tour means having to go away. I used to do that often, but now since he’s here and you’re here… It’s just a little harder to decided whether to do it or not, you know what I mean? I don’t like going on tour with a heavy heart. At the same time, I don’t want to quit.”