Skype

I woke up next to a furry creature instead of a human being. I was about to freak the fuck out when I remembered that I own a real dog. Right. He was curled up into a ball right next to me, his eyes closed and his breath steady and calm. He later opened his eyes as if to notice that I have been staring absentmindedly at him and smiled. He stood up as I laid back down and went out of the room. A few seconds later, he came back on flopped back down next to me with something in his mouth. “What’s this?”

            He let go of the paper from his teeth, slightly damp from the drool. I should start getting used to the drooling.

            “A note?”

Good morning, beautiful :)

I went early to work because I need to do a last scan for Tyler before he can go home and play catch again. I made some food and I hope that Beau didn’t eat it or anything. I’ll try to make it home tonight. This is my first shift that lasts less than forty eight hours in years. Have a great day today and don’t cook anything for dinner because I’m bringing some takeouts. Let’s eat takeouts for tonight.

            Beau rested his muzzle on my arm and looked up with one of the most adorable pair of eyes I have ever seen. It was this dark and shiny orb that reflects like a mirror. His forehead was furrowed perfectly like a bridge and he was breathing noisily through his mouth. I was glad that I wasn’t alone like I mostly am before he came home with us. Now I  have someone to be lazy with. Or maybe I could start going out for a jog with him. Wait, that’s not going to happen. Who is this? Maybe Beau is now too tired to run around because he ran a lot back when he was still a cop. Maybe it’s time for him to be a couch potato. I think he’s found the perfect place to be a couch potato.

            Bing! The screen of my desktop lit up.

            I rolled off bed, dropped myself on the chair, and pivoted towards the screen. Squinting at the screen because it was way too bright after the darkness that swallowed me, I opened the mail window.

To: Allysea Harrison

From: Thomas Bulman

It may be your lucky day today. My wife and I are going out of town for a week or so, if you don’t mind, and guess what? That means you can take your time off too since I won’t be at work during those days. So, don’t even bother showing up at work. I wouldn’t if I were you. I don’t want you handling my paperwork because that’s my job. Maybe it will be yours one day, but it’s mine for the mean time. So let us have fun for the week, shall we? Then we’re going to get busy when I get back. Trust me, I have a list of clients who are dying to pick you. Congratulations, kid. I’ll see you in a week. Take care.

            I then realized that this day couldn’t get any better. Unless Cubbie came barging in saying that Nate’s missing. I hope that won’t happen, though. And if it did, I know that Beau would be glad to help. But I still hope that it won’t happen. I replied to him saying thanks and other polite things like that. Then I realized something. Is he indirectly trying to give me signs that I might take over him one day? Or is it just me being a zombie early in the morning? I was blankly staring at the screen when the Skype icon turned on, meaning that someone was calling. I clicked the answer icon and Stella showed up lying on her belly, “Hello?”

            “Hi!” A smile crept towards my face, “You’re getting ready for bed?”

            She nodded, showing me her pajamas, “Did you just wake up?”

            “Yea, I just did.”

            “Goooooddddd morning!”