Beach

I wasted the remaining time before Ryan went back thinking about that. How? When? Who? Half of me believed that it should be out as soon as possible, but my other half was having second thoughts. It was the worst dilemma I have ever faced my whole life. I have also been really missing mom lately, and I can’t believe that I’m really missing dad too. It’s like all those grief and mourning were all coming back to me and I have nowhere to go and dodge that wave. Here comes the great depression. Again. And I thought I was starting to be, like, happy.

            “Hey, honey, what are you thinking about?”

            “What?” I blinked and found Ryan standing right in front of me with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion, “Oh, hey. How was it?”

            “Kevin’s going home!” It slightly amazed me on how calm he was. I was expecting a six year old having a chronic sugar rush instead. He sat across me on the counter and held my hands, “The kid won’t have to be hooked with those machines anymore! He can run around, play catch, play in the playground-”

            “He’s got a bright future. You gave him that.” I smiled, “And I am so proud of you, doc. I really am. A lot more.”

            He smiled back, his cheeks flushed with embarrassment. “He’s going to be okay for sure.”

            I nodded, “Of course he will, and that’s thanks to you.”

            “Stop that.”

            “Well, I’m glad you’re in a good mood.”

            His face fell, “What do you mean? Is there something wrong?”

            I shook my head and smiled tightly, “Nothing’s wrong. Everything’s a-okay. I’m just a little worried about AJ. That’s all.”

            He ran his thumb across my cheek, “Stop worrying about him, he’s going to be fine.”

            “I miss my parents.” I blurted, “More than usual. I don’t know how and why. I just do, a lot lately.”

            He glanced at our hands before shooting a look at me, “That’s fine with me. I miss my sister too, you know? We all miss someone at some point.”

            “I know, but this time is a little weird.”

            He snorted, “Uh, no it’s not.”

            I sighed, “Whatever you say.”

            “Lighten up, Ally.” He kissed my fingertips, “How was your day with the twins?”

            “It was fine. I told Pontius about Glen and he seemed pretty bummed too.”

            “What about the rest of them?”           

            I shrugged, “Maybe he’ll do that for me and the guys would come barging in AJ’s place by tonight or tomorrow.”

            He giggled, “There’s a possibility that it might happen.”

            “Yea, he’ll get used to it eventually.”

            “Hey, do you want to do something tonight?”

            “Aren’t you tired?”

            “What? No I’m not. Come on, don’t get rid of me. It’s been a while since we went out on a real date, like old times.”