Desperate Measures

On another room, Ryan hasn’t moved an inch. His legs were killing him, but he refused to sit down. He felt queasy and lightheaded. He felt like he was lifeless and floating. He wanted to overdose himself with anesthesia, so he would feel numb. Sadly, anesthesia is meant for physical pain instead of emotional. He would rather go through an appendix removal procedure fully awake rather than this bullshit. He would rather lose his perfectly well-paid job than to lose her. He felt like burying himself alive. Out of all the other patients cut open today, why her? He started to think. It’s an asthma attack, of course, but why operate? She’s never been operated because of an attack before. He’s either getting paranoid or his asshole minions are keeping something behind their backs.  

            “Hey. I just wanna come on to introduce Ally to someone.” Grey entered, holding Isom’s baby gingerly in her arms. “Do you guys mind?”

            Everyone shook their heads.

            Isom took his baby from her arms as his heart started to race. He walked up to her, smiling. At least there’s something good happening in this hellhole. “Hey, Ally. This is… Well, we haven’t named her yet. We’re waiting for you because we’d like to hear your suggestions. You probably knew already, since I sent you a bunch of texts. Um… Incase you’re wondering, she’s seven pounds and… I just… I just want you to meet her… She’d love to meet you…”

            Sean had a little sideway smile on his face. He remembered Isom and Ally barging in the day Daisy was born. Both of them were a lot more immature and annoying compared to today. It was his turn to barge in Isom, but without Ally. It felt incomplete because there’s always Ally who will always be on either side or none at all. He really wished that Ally would be there and they would barge in together. He knew how much Isom wished that it could happen, but he got this instead. He felt sorry for Isom.

            Isom carefully set his daughter between Ally’s arm and her body. It’s sad that she’d have to meet Ally in this state. The baby didn’t cry or anything, she just comfortable nestled there. It’s like she knew that she was supposed to be stuck growing up with Ally forever. It’s like she knew how much Ally means to her father.

            “Well, I guess she knows who Ally is now.” Mark squeaked, squishing down his feelings.

            Isom nodded like a scolded child.

            “What was that in her hand?” AJ asked Cubbie,

            He smiled tightly, “How are you feeling?”

            “I’m holding in there.” He smiled back,

            “It’s just something that I gave Nate a few years ago. Well, Ally sort of suggested it and I know that it was a wonderful idea. I just didn’t expect that he’d gave it to her.”

            “I guess he just wanted to share.” AJ shrugged,

            “Yea, I guess. Hey, tell me if you need anything.”

            “That won’t be necessary.” He shook his head. He was starting to see Ally’s point. Cubbie did remind him of his own late father. It’s awesome but embarrassing at the same time.

            “It’s heavy, I know.”

            “It’s a lot heavier when you’re in my shoes.” AJ flicked his eyebrows, “Trust me.”

            “Hey, don’t think about yourself like that. It’s just ridiculous.”

            Earlier today, Ryan was holding a little miracle on his arms. She was crying so loudly and he knew, right at that moment, that she was going to grow up and become a strong human being. But unfortunately, her first test was the day she was brought to the world as well. Of course she wouldn’t understand it today but later when she’s older and heard that this happened? How would she feel?