11. An Old 'Friend' and Chloe's Dad

They get home and sit at the table for Thanksgiving dinner. Mary mingles happily while Chloe just watches eating and Beca cuddles up to Chloe's side feeling uncomfortable while eating her own plate of food. Chloe reaches her free hand over to wrap her arm around Beca's shoulders. She leans down to whisper in her ear. "It's ok, Baby Girl. I'm here."

Beca whispers back. "I just don't feel comfortable. This isn't my family. You're all I've got right now."

"Just finish eating and we'll go up to our room. But you need to eat. It's not just you anymore you're feeding." Chloe replied back and moving her arm from around her shoulders to rest her hand on her stomach that's slowly growing into a small bump now.

"Can't we go out somewhere just to hang out or something? I don't like people. You know that."

"We'll go to the park then. But finish eating first."

Beca nodded and did as told.

It's been about a week now and Chloe just pulled in the driveway after a day of work. She and Beca get out of the car and see a man leaning on the trunk of his own car parked against the curb. Chloe recognizes him from her old group a few months back and walks up to him just a few feet away. Beca follows. "You shouldn't be here." Chloe stated.

"I had to come. I was worrying about you all the time." Beca scoffed, but he continued. "Jesse is still out roaming the town."

"I...I don't wanna talk about it."

"At least your father pulled through. Everyone else left you hang."

"I don't know what's worse. What is this... about? Are you ok?"

"I wanted to see you. See how you were. Chloe, there is NO way you could've known that she was inside the church."

"So stupid. You're so stupid."

"To HELL with those people and their SACRED space. Only the darkest ex will keep us from the pull of our own negativity. You were better with us. Standing up to the bullshit... was a good thing. Lighting a match was the biggest..."

"STOP." Chloe cut him off all of the sudden.

"Everyone back there cares for you, Chloe. And you gotta know that WE'RE the ones who really got your back."

Chloe scoffs in disbelief. "I don't know. Umm... The woman, does she have jet black hair, like porcelain skin, regal, almost? Beautiful? I can't remember. She could have been gone, Shane. Forever. And... and the church is making me do some bullshit community service because of my asshole connected father..."

"Chloe..."

"And you know what?!? No. No. I...I feel BAD. REALLY bad. And the shittiest part is, is that lately, people are starting to treat me like... I'm GOOD."

"It's ok."

"It's NOT ok. It's not. I mean, how could I be?" She said cutting off again tearing up.

"Living back here. We're all waitin' for you, Chloe. This is no place for you." Shane said then got in his car throwing out his cig. and driving off.

Beca put a comforting hand on Chloe's shoulder and Chloe turned around shrugging it off. She wiped her tears. "Lets just go." She said opening the door to the house and going straight to their shared room.

Beca started to follow her and closed the door behind her when a tall burly looking man came into the room. "Who are you?" He asked curious as to why there was a strange girl in his house.

Beca jumped slightly looking at him. "I...I...I... CHLOE?!?" She called.

The older redhead came hurling down the stairs starting to panic at her sister's tone of voice, but relaxed when she realized she was ok. "What is it, Baby Girl? You almost gave me a heart attack."

Beca ran into her arms and pointed towards the man standing by the dining room. "He scared me. Who is that?" She whispered to her big sister.

Chloe looked to where she was pointing while hugging the smaller woman tight. "Dad?"

"Hello, Chloe. It's good to see you." The man said.

"What did you do to Beca?" She asked rubbing the whimpering brunette's back.

"Beca?"

"Yeah, Dad. Beca. As in Beca Mitchell from college. My BEST FRIEND and baby sister from The Bellas. She's not a people person. And from the way she's trembling, you scared her to death. What did you do?" The redhead explained and asked again with a firmer tone of voice.

"I didn't mean to scare her. I just wanted to know who she was. I heard her come in and wanted to know who the stranger was that was coming into my house." The man explained.

Chloe nodded and pulled Beca away from the hug wiping her tears gently with her thumbs. "It's ok, Becs. This is my dad. Michael Beale. Dad, this is Beca Mitchell. My former second co-captain from The Bellas. She's the one that got us the first win in the ICCA's, kept us running, then helped to win The Worlds."

"Oh. Well, it's nice to meet you, Beca." Michael said.

"Nice to meet you too, Mr. Beale. I'm sorry for my reaction to seeing you. I just saw a big burly looking man who over towers me by a lot and got scared."

"That's ok. I apologize for scaring you. It wasn't my intention. I just wanted to protect my family."

Beca nodded and the two girls headed to their room.