sixteen::

I woke up the next morning with only having gotten a few hours of sleep. It was hard to fall asleep with all that had happened and sleeping on Meredith's sad excuse for a couch wasn't helpful.

I looked into the kitchen and saw Izzie baking, "Izzie?" I got up and walked into the kitchen.

"Good morning," she smiled at me, pulling a pan of muffins out of the oven, "Muffin?"

"Uh sure," I grabbed one, "What's all this for?" The kitchen was filled with pans and pans of muffins.

"Oh nothing, muffins just sounded good," she said leveling off a scoop of flour. I had never seen her so perky and happy.

"Oh okay," I said, taking a bite out of the muffin, "Wow this is really good."

"Oh thank you," she smiled.

I got up and walked to the fridge and pulled out a pitcher of juice. When I shut the door I noticed a check on the door that caught my eye, "Uh Izzie, why is there a nine million check in your name on the fridge door?"

"It was Denny's," she said.

"You're fucking kidding!"

"What the hell is going on here?" Meredith shouted.

"Just baking some muffins," Izzie said.

"Izzie has nine million dollars," I yelled.

"What?" Meredith asked.

"What's everyone yelling about?" George asked from the stairwell.

"Izzie is a millionaire!  A millionaire!" I shouted.

"Not yet, I haven't even cashed it, I don't even know if I will," Izzie shrugged.

"No you're cashing that check!" I said.

"Wait so why do you have nine million dollars?"  George asked.

"I met with Denny's father yesterday. That's all the money he had. He left it to me."

"Holy. . ."

"Exactly my reaction," I told George.

"Anyways there's muffins if you guys want some," Izzie said trying to change the subject.

"Izzie you can't have your nine million dollar check hanging up on the fridge like your first grade spelling test or whatever."

George walked over to the fridge and took the check off and examined it.

"Come on Izzie we're going to the bank and depositing that right now," I said, snatching it out of George's hands.

"No I haven't decided if I want to cash it or not," Izzie said, grabbing it from me and setting it down.

"Don't set it over there!" Meredith said, grabbing the check off the messy counter, and putting it back in its original place, up on the fridge.

"Izzie I'm serious. I will take you to the bank and you're gonna deposit that thing," I said.

"I told you I'm not ready," Izzie insisted, pouring the batter into the muffin pan.

I groaned as I heard my phone ring from the other room. I walked over and answered it, "Hello?"

"Oh Brandy," My grandma sighed, "You had us worried sick we didn't know where you went."

"Grandma I'm an adult," I said.

"I know hun, you just didn't come home last night. We were just worried."

"Oh yeah, uh sorry, I just needed some time. I'm gonna stop over before work, okay?"