forty four:::

[ empty ]

"Mama!" I heard a voice squeal.

I turned around and saw a baby girl in her high chair with her lunch all over her face.

"Mark! Mark!" I called, "She just said mama!"

"No! She did? I missed it! Are you sure she didn't say 'dada'?" His face light up.

"She said it. She said it. Wait for it," I turned to our daughter and smiled at her, "Say it again honey. Show daddy."

"Dada!" She said, pointing out to her dad.

"Are you sure she said mama before?" Mark chuckled before pulling me into his arms and kissing me.

"She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love her so much. She's just amazing, absolutely-" I stopped when I saw Mark had disappeared.

"Mark?" I frowned, "Where did you go?"

I turned around and saw an empty high chair.

"Honey?" I called, starting to tear up, "Are you hiding? Where'd you go?"

I ran around the house and looked everywhere but neither of them were to be found.

"Okay, it's not funny anymore. Please come back," I sobbed and fell onto my knees, "Mark, stop it now. You know I freak out when this stuff happens."

I scrambled over to the table and frantically looked for my phone. I pushed all the papers and bills off onto the floor, "Where is it? What's happening?"

I ran into the kitchen and grabbed the phone off the wall, I quickly dialed Mark's number. I paced back and forth as it rang. The beeping seemingly getting louder and louder each time, hurting my ear.

I felt relief when I heard the line pick up, I waited for him to say something, but it stayed quiet,"Mark?"

"She's gone."

I dropped the phone and quickly turned around. I saw Mark standing behind me. His eyes were red and filled with tears.

"She's-she's gone," He said as his lip quivered.

"What?" I started to shake.

"She's gone!" He yelled, "It's your fault! You did it!"

"What do you mean?" I sobbed.

"You. You did it."

I started to hear her cry.

"Mark, stop it okay? Where is she?"

"It was you," His body trembled.

"Mark? What was me?"

"You killed her."

I felt a rush go through my body and I shot up. I breathed heavy and my body was covered in sweat. I felt really upset and I wanted to cry. All I wanted to do was roll up and cry. I sat up for a moment and tried to catch my breath.

"Brandy?" Mark rolled over and sat up when he saw me, "Are you okay?"

"I-I," I shook my head.

"Bad dream? What was it about?" He laced his fingers with mine.

I looked down and tried to think, but I stopped when I felt something warm and wet touch my leg. I lifted up the covers and I felt my heart stop when I saw what it was.