fifty nine::::

[ not giving up ]

"What's the problem?" Bailey asked one of the interns.

"I have these labs for Dr.Grey," she said.

"Well, then give them to her," Bailey said.

"I have been waiting for those for over an hour," Meredith turned around.

"I had to do an admission-" she started.

"Stop making excuses," Meredith told her.

"Sorry," she simply said.

"Stop apologizing," Meredith told her.

"Okay," she nodded.

"And stop talking," Meredith said.

Bailey and I gave each other a look of surprise, then looked back to the two of them.

"His lactic acid is normal, what does that tell us?" Meredith paused for a moment, waiting for an answer, "You can talk now."

"That he's probably not septic, so he's going to be fine. Although his white cell count is elevated, so I should probably keep an eye on that. In fact, I will keep an eye on that. So that he doesn't-"

"Go to the pit and try not to kill anyone," Meredith cut her off.

She walked away with a sigh.

Bailey laughed, "Impressive. I would've expected that level of intimidation from Yang maybe. Not you. How is Yang, by the way? She like Minnesota?" 

"She loves it," Meredith said, not so convincing. 

"Yeah, right," I shook my head, "You have no idea how jealous I am of Cristina. I'd give almost anything to be in Minnesota right now. I'm sick of this stupid hospital."

I looked over at the clock on the wall.

10:23. Less than seven hours until 5:00. 

"I gotta go check on Mark," I sighed, shutting my chart closed, and walking away.

I was beginning to run out of hope. I was starting to think this had to be the end. There wasn't anything left for us to do. It was up to Mark now. All he had to do was show us some sign. Some sign he was still there, how hard could that be? I knew he was still there, he had to be.

I leant against the doorway, watching as Derek stood next to his bedside.

"You always had to be the first," he shook his head.

"He did," I nodded, and walked in.

Derek looked over at me and gave me a small smile, as I took seat next to Mark.

"There has to be something we can do, Derek," I looked at him, "We still have six hours. There has to be something."

Derek just looked down at his friend. The hurt clearly showing in his expression.

"Man," I shook my head, "It is so hot in here. I'm just gonna take my shirt off. Oh, yeah. It feels so much better with my boobs out."

Nothing. I sighed.

"Well, if that didn't work, I don't know what else will," Derek said.

"Yeah," I sat back, "Derek, can I ask you something?"

He nodded and turned his attention to me.

"He knew right? He knew how much I loved him, right? I mean I keep telling him. I'd like to think he can hear me, but I don't know. Is this my fault?"