forty five:::

This chapter is dedicated to anyone who has been affected by gun violence. I also offer hope for the future, that this never happens again, that something will be done. Thoughts and prayers are not enough. Never again.

--

[ the road to recovery ]

It had been officially six months since the shooting at the hospital. I still remembered a lot from that day, that horrible day. The sight of Derek's blood on my hands was burnt into my mind, along with the look on Mark's face when we found each other. It all seemed so familiar and so new. It was strange thinking it had been six whole months.

Webber had agreed to have a camera crew come in a film us for a few days to document the six month milestone. I wasn't really supportive of the idea of a camera crew coming in and budging into our personal and work lives, but I agreed to 'cause I felt like I kinda had to. Webber seemed excited about it, and I didn't want to let him down.

It was finally the night the documentary was going to air. None of us had seen it yet and I was pretty nervous. The crew had asked some pretty jarring questions and I felt like I revealed a lot about myself that I had kept pretty private my whole life.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Mark asked, as he sat up.

I shook my head.

A big group of us had gathered at Meredith and Derek's to watch it. I wasn't really particularly excited about it, but it seemed important to Mark, so I went with. Mark's big arm transplant surgery was covered in it, but there was a lot of footage that showed all of our raw and vulnerable sides. It just didn't feel right that we were all meeting up together and watching it like it was the superbowl or something. It didn't seem right to be celebrating something like this.

"It's gonna start any minute," Jackson said.

"Awesome," I sighed.

"You okay?" Mark asked lightly as he sat back down.

"I'm great," I smiled.

"Are you sure?" He asked again.

"Positive," I nodded.

He gave me a smile and a nod back, and placed his hand on my leg and got comfortable as the show began to start.

It started out with one of our traumas from a few weeks ago. Meredith and Cristina were the first to appear on screen. They brought the patient into one of the trauma rooms, Owen followed behind.

Next Derek showed up and they did a short interview with him.

"I was paged down to assess the patient's head trauma. When they stabilize him, I'll go in, I'll do my stuff," He nodded.

"Your hair looks even better on camera," Callie joked.

"Yeah, looks a lot thicker," Alex added.

"Ha, ha," Derek shook his head, not as amused as the rest of us.

"Today's the day. Today is my transplant day," Mark's patient smiled.

"Yay, Transplant Day!" His wife also gave a smile.

"I'm gonna get me some arms," He continued to smile, as the camera panned out and showed off his armless body.

"Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital. Home to some of the finest, most influential doctors in the country. Several months ago, a gunman roamed these halls, leaving 11 people dead and even more injured. Today, we visit the survivors, their patients, their triumphs and their disappointments."