thirty nine:::

[ surprise, surprise, surprise ]

"You did a tracheotomy? In a restaurant?" Meredith asked me

"Yeah, he just handed me the knife and-and I did it!" I shook my head.

"Dude, that's awesome," Alex stuck his head out of the shower.

"Yeah it was until my mom ruined everything," I crossed my arms.

"Well, Derek wants babies," Meredith said.

"He wants what?" My eyes widened.

"Want me to kick his ass?" Alex asked.

"Hey, uh, Alex," Derek opened the door and looked at Meredith and I with a confused look.

"Alex is being a girl for me," Meredith said.

"I'm a girl too!" I frowned.

"Yeah, but you can't stop talking about your restaurant tracheotomy," Meredith looked to me.

"True," I nodded.

"What kind of tracheotomy?" Derek asked.

"Ugh, Mark will probably tell you all about it later," I rolled my eyes, thinking about what a disaster last night turned out to be.

"Uh, anyway, Alex there's someone at the door for you," Derek said, "He says he's your brother."

"You have a brother?" Meredith and I asked at the same time.

"Tell him to wait," Alex told Derek.

"Enjoy your girl time," Derek said, before shutting the door.

"How did I not know you had a brother?" I asked.

"I don't know," Alex shrugged.

"Want me to kick his ass?" Meredith asked.

••

"Alex is the oldest, then me, and then Amber," Aaron, Alex's brother, explained to me, "Amber's graduating from St. Savior's in May. She's smart, like Alex. She could go to college if she wanted to, but she's like, 'what's the point?' you know? And I don't know what to tell her. Alex is the doctor in the family. I just move people for a living."

"What are you doing here?" Alex asked, as he walked into the kitchen.

"Man, you got old," Aaron said, before he gave his brother a hug.

"Uh, what are you doing here?" Alex asked again.

"I had to drive to Portland on a job, and since I was in the neighborhood-"

"Well, Portland's not in the neighborhood. It's three hours," Alex said, taking a seat at the island.

"I do three hours in my sleep," Aaron told his brother