forty two:::

[ back to normal ]

"Dad. I've told you. I'm fine. I really am. You don't need to worry, okay?" I said, as I grabbed his suitcase from him.

"Okay, but Brandy, I can carry it myself," He insisted.

"This is your vacation, your break. You get a break from working," I told him.

"Well, I didn't come over here for a vacation. I came to take care of you and make sure you're okay," He told me, as we walked away from the luggage claim and made our way to my car.

"I don't need you to take care of me," I frowned, as the doors slid open as we approached them.

The hairs on my arm stood up as I was met with a cool Seattle breeze, as we walked out. I walked to my car and opened the trunk, putting my dad's suitcase in the back.

"You know, it's okay to feel scared or upset about what happened," My dad said, once we were in the car.

I sighed, "Dad. It's really fine. I'm over it. I'm okay. I'm okay, emotionally and physically. My friends are okay now. Mark is okay too. It's okay now."

"Okay," He nodded, getting the idea that I was done talking about it, "So, I'm finally going to meet this Mark guy?"

"Yes, you're finally going to meet 'this Mark guy,'" I rolled my eyes.

"Hm. I already don't like him," My dad pursed his lips.

"Dad, come on," I groaned.

"Oh, I'm joking. You've always had a great taste in boys. Better than that sister of yours," My dad shook his head.

"Very true. Remember that geeky kid with the mullet and those ugly glasses?" I laughed.

"Yeah, I think he had a retainer too. Total nerd. He was in the calculus club," My dad said.

I laughed and shook my head, "Total nerd."

"I'm sorry I couldn't make it sooner," My dad said, "I saw it that night on the news. I wanted so badly for you to be home. I needed you home."

"Dad, you don't need to apologize," I frowned, as I flipped the wipers on, as drops started to fall on my windshield, "You're here now. I'm here. Everything's back to normal."

°°

"Sounds big. I'm betting MVC. Multiple MVC," Alex said, as we all watched our pagers go off on the table as we got dressed.

"Or an apartment fire," Jackson speculated, his eyes not leaving the pager.

"When is the staring gonna stop?" April asked, as she looked at all of the new interns, staring us down.

"As soon as the novelty wears off. Just ignore them," Jackson said, pulling his shirt over his head

"Owen washed my hair. And he told me to eat this grainy nut bar," Cristina said, holding up an unopened package with a granola bar in it, "And he booked me into surgery this morning."

"But trauma guy didn't clear you," Meredith furrowed her brows.

"Yeah, but he said he'll figure that out,"Cristina said, shrugging her shoulders.

"Yes. Okay, I am the crazy one. I am the one who freaks out and screams at people," Lexie paused, realizing the irony of her statement, "Like that."

"Hey. Go gawk at each other for a while," I ordered them.

They quickly got to their feet and ran out of the locker room.

"Are you okay?" Meredith asked Lexie.