BalgruufXReader Oneshot

It had started out innocently enough, just a lazy day in Dragonsreach. You were hoping to get to spend some time with Balgruuf, but after all he was the Jarl and had a hold to keep. Occasionally he would give you looks as he passed or from his throne, conveying that he would much rather be in your company. Sometimes he would murmur low to you as you walked with him to another meeting, assuring you it would only be a few more moments before he'd be free.

That was two hours ago, and now you were up on the balcony lining the throne room, watching the proceedings down below. "Are you waiting on Papa?" Dagny's voice came from behind you. "Papa always has work to do, barely any time for fun and games. So I wouldn't be surprised that you won't see him till nightfall if I were you."

You scowled briefly, "He doesn't make time for playing games with you or your brothers?"

"No. He won't even watch Frothar train." She sighed, "But it's whatever, we've gotten used to it." That's something that you should not hear.

"Gotten used to what?" Asked Nelkir as he and Frothar joined both of you.

"How Papa doesn't have time to play with us."

"Oh yeah. That." Frothar rolled his eyes. "Yeah his keep is a lot more important than us." Falling silent all eyes fell to the sight down below, you could feel anger and pity well up inside of you. You were going to talk to him later, but you had kids to cheer up.

"So...what do you guys do for fun?" In hindsight you should have offered a game to play, but that was then and this was now. Now was when Dagny was nearly drenched with a tight hold around your neck as you carried her, Frothar had mud plastered to his right side as he peaked around from behind you, Nelkir had the mud up to his knees plus staining his arms and lower part of his face as he mimicked his brother, and you were absolutely covered with the mud. Your face had it painted across like war paint, before the speckles of where it was thrown at you hit and the occasional flower petals that got caught in the fiasco.

You would have laughed at the sight of you, but that wasn't when you were standing before your lover who's expression you couldn't read. "All I ask for is for one day without you causing any trouble and this is what happens. Found covered in mud by the maids. And you dragged (Y/N) into this! What got into your minds? One of you could have gotten hurt or sick! Do you know how worried I was when no one knew where you were?!"

"Jarl Balgruuf if I could explain-"

"Explain what? That his children have caused him stress by their actions." Irileth spoke harshly at me. "There is nothing to explain."

"There is everything to explain!" You yelled, growing agitated. "They're children for divine's sake. The oldest one is barely even twelve! Do you know what I was doing at age twelve? I was playing in creeks, climbing trees, make noise and messes everywhere I went. Because I was a child. So they didn't think about telling anyone, I didn't think about telling anyone anything at their age. Maybe if you would stop being so high and mighty all the time and break away from the court you might just see that these kids need an adult to care about them, actually care about them." A stunned silence met your words, letting you continue. "If you're going to blame anyone, blame me. I'm the one who took them outside and thought it would be a great idea to enjoy the creek when we had such good weather. Now if you will excuse us, I've got three muddy munchkins to get upstairs before someone gets sick."

Dismissing yourself, you carried Dagny while Frothar and Nelkir walked in front of you to their chambers. Handing them over to their nursemaid and her assistants, you were preparing to leave and head back to the Breezehome for your bath. "Hey don't get mad at Papa." Nelkir suddenly spoke up. "You're the first adult in a long time to care. You won't leave us will you?" All three looked at you, their eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"Nah, I'm not leaving. I'll be back tomorrow and we'll find another game to play, one that will keep us out of trouble." You assure them. On your way out a maid stopped you, informing you to meet the Jarl in his chambers. Nodding you made your way over, only pausing to knock on the open door frame.

"Come in (Y/N)." He called, not turning around to face you. Shutting the door softly behind you stood beside him. "Tell me do you think the worst of me now? Do you think I'm a bad father?"

Biting your lip, frowning at his words. "Your children expressed to me how they were used to not having time to play with you. How you're always kept busy with the keep. One even saying that you cared more about it than them." You watch as his hands become fist, the knuckles turning white. "In that moment I felt so sorry for them, angry about how you had to spend your time, and I couldn't help myself my Jarl. I had to cheer them up, I had to make them smile and laugh, be carefree, they needed to be children."

"The guards say you could hear their laughter over the din of the water." His eyes focused but not focused on some point ahead, "The maids said that they all had the biggest smiles they had ever seen. That they were genuinely enjoying themselves."

"They were, they were quite happy. There was no name calling, no fighting, no being mean, just playing." You watch his face, noticing a small tear creep down the side of his face. "Balgruuf. I don't think you're a bad father, I think you're just under too much pressure. I know that you can't spend every moment of everyday with your children, but maybe make it a point to spend half a day with them. Like once a week, do something on that day with them. Let them play, let them enjoy themselves, and you do the same. They need their father. I don't think the worse of you, in fact I think more of you. You were worried about them, you sent people out to look for them. You're a good father, maybe not the best at dividing out your time, but a good father none the less."

With quick movements he grasps your face, kissing you with gusto. "I will do just that. Perhaps you could join us, and be there for them when I'm busy."

"I can do that. In fact I've already promised to be back tomorrow for another round of games." You smile before frowning softly. "You aren't mad at me? For causing you to worry about your children and speaking out of turn?"

He chuckled, "No, knowing that they were with you the whole time put me at ease fairly quickly. However Proventis is quite upset that you spoke out of turn and had that tone."

"He can deal with it."

"I agree for once." His eyes roamed over your figure, taking in all the mud. "Would you like a bath? I had the maids set it up for you here. It should still be warm."

"Yes please, this mud starting to dry and get very itchy."

He laughed, "You are a wild one."

"But I'm yours."

"And that I'm grateful for."