Jarl Balgruuf One Shot: A Day in Battle

I made this because I could use a little more Jarl Balgruuf love. He's just so underrated. Any way here's this. I may try and make a holiday one. Idk.

And unless other wise stated you are not pregnant in any prompt/Oneshot.

"Any questions?"

"Yeah. How in the world is this fair?" You asked, putting down your hand. "I mean it's me, Balgruuf, you, and Lydia against the entire guard. Explain how that's fair to anyone."

Irileth quirked an eyebrow, the only sign of amusement on her normally stoic face. "They have fought Balgruuf and I, so they are somewhat prepared for us."

"Besides there are more of them than us, so they should have an advantage." Balgruuf explained with a smile, "But I see how it might be unfair, you are fighting this time."

"And Lydia. Don't forget Lydia."

"I am not that important as you often stress Y/N." Lydia said with a soft smile on her face. Chuckling softly at your incredulous look.

"I'm sorry what was that? I don't listen to absolute bull." You reply, putting your hands on your hips. "Besides I have two words for you, frost trolls."

Lydia smiled a little bigger, "Well that is true, you were rather distracted with your own battle if I recall."

"Those damned gremlin things are going to be the death of me." You growled, Balgruuf and Irileth looking confused at you two.

"I don't recall hearing that story." He supplied, Irileth nodding in agreement. "And I would like too, after we fight."

"Of course." You and Lydia chimed together, smiling at the other two.

"Everyone ready to go?" Irileth asked as she did one last check over herself. Lydia copied her actions, before shaking slightly to loosen her muscles.

You mentally gave yourself a run down, making sure you had your weapons in place along with your back ups. Once you deemed yourself ready you went over Balgruff, noticing a loosened bit of armor you quickly crossed and fashioned it securely. A kiss on the forehead was your thanks as his eyes light up. "I believe we're ready."

Making your way into the arena you watched as guards prepared themselves with practice weapons, eyes training onto your group. You smiled as you knew it was a sight. Lydia and Irileth lead the front, a seasoned warrior in her leathers while a younger warrior in her steel armor followed close behind. Many of these guards knew Lydia and likewise what a powerful force she was. Then came you and Balgruuf, he in his steel armor from his glory days. You chuckled softly at the thought, he, your knight in shining armor. Balgruuf tilted his head as to ask what was funny but you merely waved it away, you would tell him later. You wondered what the guards thought of you, wearing custom leather armor that was a distinct style from the norther provinces. Blades tucked against your side as you strolled beside Balgruuf. It would be interesting to ask.

Carefully you took your marks, the battle already playing out in your head. Moves and counter moves dancing around before anyone had the chance to move. Taking a deep breath you calmed yourself, only thing that mattered was making sure no one hurt your teammates.

At the sound of the horn men rushed forward, their shouts filling the air as Lydia and Balgruuf emitted a battle cry of their own. Must be a Nord thing you thought, before gracefully swinging a blade down, jabbing the smaller blade into the side of a poor soul. Though the weapons were blunt wood, they still hurt and left welts. Fainting left you struck another guard square in the chest, noticing one sneaking up on Balgruuf. "To your left!" You warned, watching him shift his stance and take out the man. He smiled at you as you ducked back into the fray, momentarily lost as you watched Irileth fight.

"She fights well, doesn't she?" Lydia asked as she brought her sword down, taking out two guards.

"Remind me to train with her sometime." You replied before dashing off the take out the three advancing on Irileth. A mere nod of her head was all that came, her blades never stopping.

With ease you made your way back to Balgruuf, stepping in and out of his way, attacking those who he missed. It was quite a sight, his movements fierce and measured. Beads of perspiration dotted his head, though that was the only sign of weariness as he laughed and quipped back and forth with the guards.

"My Jarl!" Irileth called a warning, which you caught just in time to push him out of the way of a swinging sword. Thankfully you ducked enough that the "blade" didn't hit you, but the steel gauntlet smashed into your cheek.

And curse slipped past your lips, eyes widening as Balgruuf cried out, bringing down his sword to take out the man. Suddenly you were behind him, his body blocking all who were bent on attacking you. Switching tactics you kept your back to his, attacking those who got to near to the both of you.

The noises of battle prevailed on, the four of you falling into a rhythm, encouragement sent out every so often. Grunts and gasp of pain filling the air on the occasion. Sometimes the guards shouting as you struck them harshly for laying a blow on Balgruuf.

By the time the last guard had "fallen" you were all covered in dirt and sweat, a few bruises peeking out here and there. Irileth had a nasty cut above her left eye, Lydia had gotten swiped on the nose (thankfully that was not broken), Balgruuf was unable to fully lift his shoulder without some pain, and you had a couple of welts plus that one bruise spreading across your cheek.

Caught unaware you felt a hand tilt your chin, before warm lips captured your own. Smiling back into the kiss you poured as much love into it as you could. Balgruuf's eyes lit up with such adoration as you parted from one another. "You did well my love. I must say it would be something to fight beside you in a real battle."

"Aye, that it would be." You agreed, settling into his side as you both turned to face Irileth and Lydia. "Although I think I would keep Irileth near me in battle. She does have a wicked swing."

She merely smirked before stating, "I will stay next to you in a fight, as long as Lydia comes as well. I could use more fighters like her by my side." Lydia smiled happily though kept her tongue as she tried to hide her blush.

"Then it's settled!" His voice boomed happily. "We shall become a team, one that will be feared through all of Tamriel! Now come on, we have a feast to attend." Together you walked in, commenting on the day's events, laughing and smiling all through the evening.