They Can't Sleep Part 1

Balgruuf: He sits at the desk, his head in his hands, paper spread out everywhere. A book flopped open here, a few broken quills there, his shoulders speak of fatigue. "Balgruuf?" Your voice murmurs as you rub sleep from your eyes. "Why are you out of bed, it's so late."

He lifts his head up and turns to face you, a light smile slipped onto his face as he looks at you. Thick, heavy blankets gathered about you as you stood in the doorway. "Sorry my love. I just couldn't sleep." The gentle sound of the blankets scuffing across the floor met his words. "Go back to bed love, there's no reason for you to suffer this sleepless night with me."

"But you're awake, so I should be awake too." You pouted, weakly pushing at his chair. He took the hint pushing back from the desk enough for you to climb up into his lap. "It's lonely sleeping by myself."

His arms slipped around you, pulling you close to him. "Perhaps I could come back and hold you till you fall back asleep?" Balgruuf amended, kissing your head, that was currently tucked into the crook of his neck.

"What about you?" Your breath tickles across his skin. "You want me to leave you awake and alone?" Slowly you raised your head, eyes taking in his face. You could see the weariness etched into his face, settled deep into every pore. "You're weary and stressed, you're thinking you have to do this on your own. You're wrong Balgruuf, I am here. I may not be as well versed in politics but I have been told I'm a wonderful listener, and have been known to have quite a few great insights."

Balgruuf felt his shoulders drop, letting himself relax for a moment. "You're right." He sighed, his hands coming to cup your face as he laid soft kisses against rose colored lips. "I'm worried about the upcoming meeting, having it here means everything will be scrutinized. We'll need more guards on every patrol and every station. Not to mention I'll need my proposal complete with a counter proposal ready incase. And a whole slew of things more to do."

"Perhaps you can delegate some of the tasks?"

"Irileth has already got her hands full, strengthening any weak spots in our walls and patrols along with training the solders. Proventus has his hands full arranging the housing, meals, and agenda for the meeting."

"Why don't I take over the detailing? I can make sure the city and every little thing in it is clean and in order. I'll assist Proventus in anything that he needs done. And I'll see to it that not a single thing will be out of place come the meeting. Does that help?" You ask, kissing him back.

"Hmm yes it does. Thank you love."

"Now will you come back to bed?" With ease, Balgruuf picked you up, taking both of you back to the large bed. After he snuffed out all the candles, he climbed up next to you, seeking your warmth. A content sigh passed his lips as he held you to him, fingers gently tangling themselves into his beard. "I love you." You murmur, as you lazily stroked his chest.

"I love you too." His low timbre voice came, a few more steady moments of silence lingered before his soft snores filled the air. With a content giggle, you finally drift off as well, sleeping soundly in each other's embrace.

Savos: The soft sounds of a mortar and pestle griding away at some ingredients woke you from your slumber. Willing yourself to sit up the thick blankets that protected you from the cold pooled about your waist. A soft curse slipped past rose lips as bare feet hit the cold ground, rising you made your way past the divider. The sight of Savos at the alchemy table greeted you, from his stance you could tell he was throughly invested in his experiment. "Savos." You called, leaning against the wall, curling your arms around you to stay warm. "What are you doing? Do you know what ungodly hour it is?"

A warm chuckle rumbled through him, causing his shoulders to shake gently. "It's not that ungodly of an hour my gem. It's only a four hours to dawn."