Chapter 23

"You're scared I'm going to leave you?" Her voice breaks, "y/n," she sobs loudly, never have I ever seen someone as hurt as Lauren as she finally realized it, "I-I couldn't do that. Why would I ever want to do that? All I want to do is protect and cherish you." We were crying in the kitchen, our hearts connected, our fingers interlocked, our minds wild from all the thinking but none of that mattered once our lips touched. None of that mattered once Noah jumped between us holding us all together like a bond. That's when I realized, Noah has a family, we're becoming one again without even realizing. I have someone who cares about me and my son deeply, I have someone to protect us from the monsters of our past.

The dinner was ruined but we didn't mind it one bit, Lauren helped Noah get clean and ready for bed while I was waiting for them in the living room. We watched some movies, Noah sitting between us quietly, he drifted off to sleep in no time and Lauren carried him into his room. When she came back she threw herself onto the couch this time even further away from me, I was confused at first but happy afterwards when she pulled me on top of her while kissing my temple softly. "No matter what baby, you've got me." Were the last words I heard before I driffted off to sleep on top of her.

Everything was looking better after that, we were only getting closer and closer by day, Lauren was again present in our house everyday, on rare occasion she left to go somewhere.

I left her alone with Noah for the very first time today, I had an appointment with Lauren's doctor but that's the thing they didn't have to know. When I come back I find the house in complete silence, it is empty, for a second I panick, but when I remember that Lauren is the one taking care of my child I sigh in relief.

I walk towards the backyard when I hear loud noises coming from the back, "Mom! We're building a tree house," Noah screams enthusiastically running towards me, jumping into my lap, clapping with his little hands, I look at Lauren who's been whetting the platform, her muscles tensing, I take my time to appreciate her delicate hands, thinking back to our first encounter, smiling a little and shaking my head immediately when I realize I'm still holding my child.

"Hate to break it to you Lauren, but that's not our tree, it's the neighbours." Lauren nods her head while carrying on with previous task.

"Lawlen asked the neighbours for permission and he even wanted to help but she dec- deck- de- ... Lawlen what is that word again?" Noah screams running to her, climbing the stairs they've made already, "declined sweetie."

I look at the woman in front of me startled, "wait, you convinced our neighbours to allow this? How? I couldn't even convince them that the tree was more ours than theirs since the most of it is on our side of the plot."

"Let's say I used my charms and this tree is now officially ours. I mean yours." Lauren explains blushing a little while saying ours which made me feel happy for a second, before she ruined it with adding yours. Noah is running around the tree happily, helping Lauren from time to time but mostly talking about how happy he is now that the tree belongs to us, to my surprise Lauren never got bored of him, she seemed interested in everything the kid said and collaborated in every conversation he started.

I must admit it though, the feeling I was feeling when Lauren said she used her charms on my neigbour were close to the feeling I hate, jealousy, I know Lauren is gorgeous, however thinking about someone else appreciating her body makes me feel nervous.

I walk towards the workers in my backyard, holding two glasses, one with iced tea inside and the second with passion tea lemonade sweetened, Lauren gives me a look before taking it and drowning it in a second, "I figured you haven't eaten or drank since you've started with this project of yours?" I didn't know till now that woman's giggle can make your knees weak.