Chapter 25

Do I know this place at all? I wish I could remember, the only reason my butt is stuck inside this chair in this big office is because my notifications that are followed by alarms let me know that I better come here every day.

"How are you Lauren?" So that's my name! My legs are jumping up and down nervously, my eyes focused on the little dog on the desk whose head is bouncing up and down distracting me from thinking.

"I've had better days." I let out anyways, she follows my eyes and puts her hand on top of the toy, throwing it inside her drawer afterwards.

"How is your girlfriend? Your son?" I look away through the window nervously, now that the toy is gone I don't know where to look. "I know that look, what's going on?"

"I don't," I grip the chair harshly, my nails digging into it, "I don't remember her. I woke up not knowing where I was, or who I am for that matter."

"And I suppose you told her that?" My therapist asks hopefully, but yet again I'll have to disappoint her.

"No. I went out and found our picture inside our car. I came back two hours later with a Christmas tree." I can see her nodding and it makes me wonder why? Why is she doing that? I close my eyes for a second the memory of our morning rushing into my head unexpectedly.

It was about 10 am when I brought the tree inside the living room surprising my little family with it. We've been working on it since then, I pass y/n to get another box accidentally touching her.

"Did you just touched my butt?"

"What? It was in my way baby, now focus on your tree." I smirk her way only to find her smirking back at me.

"My tree? You're the one who brought it home."

I roll my eyes stepping behind her, my arms sneak around her belly gently, "anything for you, my little dork."

"I see. We talked about this before, nobody is pushing you, especially not her, but you'll have to trust me on this one, talk to your girlfriend about it." That's easier said than done.

"It was different this time, I didn't freak out, I had this feeling inside my stomach as I passed her by on my way out that maybe this is my life, maybe this is where I'm supposed to be. What hurt me the most is the look she gave me, like she knew, like she just rolled with the punches I provided, like she said, yeah well my girlfriend doesn't remember me today, better luck tomorrow." I sigh disappointedly, only to see her writing things down. Does this help me at all? If I really do come here every day, does it change anything? Because I don't feel like it does.

"Did she say anything?" I shake my head tiredly.

"No. She was making breakfast for our son, when her eyes met mine, at first they were hopefull, full of passion and happiness, not even a second later she stopped the giggling, focused on me and looked at the door, she just nodded, just like that. Doc, how many times have I done that?"

"In the past week?" I nod as she scans the notes inside her lap, "six times."

"So basically everyday? She deserves better."

"Maybe, but she wants you. You'll have to understand that every time she has a choice, a choice to leave or hold on, as far as I know she has been doing a pretty good job at holding on."

"She has. Excuse me, would it be wrong if we cut this short? There is somewhere I'd rather be right now."

"It's alright Lauren, you're free to go." I nod shaking her hand and running out afterwards with only one thought stuck inside my head.