3. Darling

"Eve! Come on, I'm starving!" Bucky complains childishly, him and Steve waiting for me in front of the dressmaker shop. Ever since they found out that I actually work, Bucky had the brilliant idea to pick me up after work to do something together. Rolling my eyes playfully, I continue to sew the last buttonholes of the expensive white shirt, trying not to prick my finger. Although it's really hard to focus when Bucky's screaming my name the whole time.

"Okay, Eve, you can go now, your boyfriend's annoying me." My boss groans pressing her hands against her temples, massaging them in what looked like a futile effort to relax.

"Actually, he's not my-," She lets out a loud sigh, squeezing her eyes shut. I pause, realizing that she doesn't particularly care. "Okay, thank you! I'll be here at nine tomorrow."

Finishing the shirt, I place it folded on the shelf with the other orders. I'm really glad that I managed to get such an easy job, especially considering I'm still a student. Obviously, the pay isn't as great as it could be, but I'm still extremely lucky. But as much as I'm grateful for this job, I cannot prevent my heart from beating in excitement when I exit the shop, the spring breeze kissing my face. Immediately spotting the small, paper bag in Steve's right hand, I narrow my eyes to find out what's in it.

"You two brought apples?!" My passion for food, along with a growling stomach, makes me notice how hungry I actually am.

"Shit." He swears, reaching into his pocket to dig out a nickel. He begrudgingly placed the nickel into the palm of a smirking Bucky.

"Thank you," Bucky grins, placing the coin in his jacket. I shoot him a confused look, and he explains. "I bet you'd figure out what's in the bag, he disagreed. I won."

"You have no faith in me?" I gasp in mock-offense, placing my hand over my heart as if I was truly wounded. "Wow, I came out to have a good time and I'm honestly feeling so attacked right now. I thought we were friends, Stevie."

"Stevie?" He raises an eyebrow at me as if he thought he didn't hear me correctly while Bucky giggles at my little performance.

"You heard right," I confirm, grinning. I stretch my arms, making a small noise when I realize just how stiff they are from work. "So, guys, what'd you plan for today? Anything special, besides eating? Speaking of which, I'm starving so give me my portion."

"You have to wait a bit, Evie," Bucky informs teasingly, making me roll my eyes. He uses that nickname just to see me annoyed, I swear. "We're gonna hang out a bit at the East River, just to relax a little after another exhausting school week."

"Art sucked especially this week," I groan, remembering what happened in the class.

"Still upset because your heart looked like a stone?" He mocks, smirking at me. I gasp, slapping his arm. He'd spent the entire week making fun of my art skills.

"Shut up, it did look like a heart!"

"Judge Stevie," He calls on Steve, laughing at my defensiveness. "Your judgment on Eve's drawing in art. Did it look like a stone or a heart?"

"I'm not gonna get rid of that stupid nickname, am I?" Steve mutters, sighing deeply. "It looked like a stone."

"Ha!" Bucky exclaims triumphantly, his eyes shining with his mischievous victory.