29. The Howling Commandos

I feel a pair of lips on my skin that slowly wake me up. A trail of kisses are planted on my forehead, my nose, my cheek and the corner of my lips, leaving a familiar prickle. My eyes open dozily and have to adjust to the light of the lamp, soon facing Bucky's bright smile. Although I'm exhausted, I still manage to smile back. "Can I always wake up like that?"

"I have no objections." He grins cheekily, giving me a little peck on the lips before pulling me to his chest, placing his arm around me. I can hear his heartbeat and breathe calmly, it's like a dream. I've never been so happy in my whole life. "You're so beautiful."

I look up at him, catching his gaze on me and breathing out a little chuckle, trying to mask the heat in my face. "Don't be corny, James."

"Don't use my name to hide your blushing." He smirks and presses his lips softly on my hair. "I can't believe that you didn't notice my efforts during all these years."

"I'm not quite experienced with love, you know." I remind him sheepishly and his grin just widens.

"Didn't feel like that yesterday- "

"Shut up!" I interrupt him, blushing and try to refrain from laughing by pressing my lips together but it results in a big failure.

"Make me." He flirts with me challenging and I can't prevent the smirk on my lips. I lean in as if I would kiss him but stop right before his lips meet mine, just to tease him. He groans impatiently and a whimsical smile plays around his lips. "Geez, you can't be serious."

"Then watch me, Barnes." I shrug playfully and decrease the distance but he pulls back to press his lips on mine. I smile dreamily into the kiss as my hands rest on his cheeks and every fiber of my body demands for more.

"Hey, Bucky, have you seen- Oh, my God!!!" Steve rushes into the room and his eyes widen, immediately covering them with his hands when he sees what we're doing. "I-I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt anything!"

"Steve!" I shriek in embarrassment with widened eyes. In this moment, I can't be thankful enough for blankets.

"Get out, man!" Bucky yells annoyed, half glaring at his best friend.

"I'm just looking for Eve because she should take a look on her new uniform!" Steve defends himself, still covering his eyes. His cheeks redden in embarrassment and he takes a few steps backwards, slowly leaving the room. "I, uh, I-I'm just gonna wait in front of library for you, you have a half hour."

Bucky groans when the door gets closed again and I can't help but suddenly burst out into laughter, being amused by the whole situation. Steve must be traumatized for his whole life now.

***

After a shower and getting dressed in my army uniform that is similar to Peggy's, I walk to the library while Bucky has decided to have a breakfast with Dugan and the others. Steve is standing there, waiting for me and his face is less red now but there's still the revealing pink tone.

"Morning." I smile awkwardly at him and he just nods before we start walking to the lab. An uncomfortable silence arises between us until he opens his mouth, seeming to explode of curiosity.

"So did you, uh, did you two... fondue?"

"Fon- what?" I scrunch up my face in confusion, staring at him in disbelief.