11. In Love

"I'm sorry, Eve... I know it's hard for you since you're just a high school student and you really did a great job. But I just can't afford a student if I can employ someone who could work full time. And the economic crisis is really bad, you know that. I don't- no, I'm not allowed to waste money. But you get the cotton for free." My boss promises me, smiling sadly while handing me the rest of the gray cotton in a bag. "Good luck, I hope you'll find someone who can employ you soon."

"Thanks." I force a smile, biting on my lower lip and taking the bag. I am screwed. I've lost my job. From what am I supposed to live now? How the hell will I earn money to pay the rent, the school and for food now? No one will employ me, I'm just a weak girl that is still a student and most students don't even get a job, not at this time. I leave the dressmaker shop after waving goodbye to her, still a bit absent and drowned in my financial problems. I clench my teeth, remembering that the rent is due in a few weeks. "Crap."

I bury my face into my scarf and my hands into my pockets, trying to get rid of the cold. My cheeks already hurt and the only thing that is warm is the air which leaves my lungs. Getting fired sucks. Getting fired on Christmas Eve sucks even more. Now I'm walking home, looking down at the bag. At least I could finish my Christmas present for Bucky, although we came with Steve to the agreement not to buy anything. But I actually didn't break the rules since this is self- made, so is Steve's. It is sad though that we don't celebrate together, but Steve is taking care of his sick mother and Bucky promised to spend time with Rebecca. I'm already glad that we will at least meet up before New Year's Eve.

Arriving at the blockhouse, I go upstairs to my apartment as I glance at the gray and cloudy sky. Why doesn't it snow? I would love to see the pure white color in form of tiny snowflakes. I let out a sigh, the disappointment rests on my chest and I remove the brick to take the key and open the door. When I enter the apartment, a sudden big shape in my kitchen makes me literally jump and shriek shortly, my heart crashing against my ribcage. The key and bag land on the ground.

"Oh, hey, Eve."

"What the- Bucky?!" I try to steady my breath, still recovering from the shock. "What are you doing here and how could you even enter my apartment?! And how long have you been here?!"

"You know, it's not really clever to hide the key under the brick when there's literally just one brick." He points out, shrugging casually while staying at the stove as if it was the most normal thing in the world. "And I've been here for about an hour, trying to cook my mother's potato soup but... ", he takes a look at the pot, scrunching up his face, "I can't guarantee that it'll taste as good as hers."

"No, I mean, what are you doing here?" I emphasize his current location, tilting my head as I pick up the bag and key. "You're supposed to be with your family, especially with Rebecca."

"Oh, that." He nods as he takes the pot, placing it on a rag. "Yeah, that was a lie. Did you seriously think I'd leave you alone on Christmas? No- uh. It was a plan the whole time and Steve was actually supposed to be here too, but then Sarah got suddenly sick. So he left his Christmas gift on your wall."

My glance lands on the wall next to the door and my mouth opens in amazement at the beautiful drawing of a Christmas tree. Steve's talent and passion for art runs through every single shade and detail of the feat. It even has the size of a Christmas tree and it looks so real, although it's just two-dimensional. I run with my hand slowly over his gift, still impressed and overwhelmed.

"I hope we can visit him tomorrow because I need to thank him for that." I smile, pushing my problems to the background. Ruining the bright mood would be awful now. "How did he even get the idea?"