28. Little Eternity

Walking from Austria to Italy is not one of the things that I actually planned, but we didn't have another choice since the transponder got damaged and we were still behind the hostile line. Three days have passed and they were not quite magnificent. First off all, I am the only girl under those 150 men which has been awkward so far. Then they are all also injured and the first-aid kit wasn't enough but I did my best to take care of them.

We also had to feed on the nature, even went fishing since we had no provisions at all. But thanks to my powers, I managed to make a fire, so we would at least not freeze at night. Dugan and his friend were actually fascinated by my abilities while Bucky weirdly remained quiet about that. We still haven't talked about our argument.

"I hope we're going to the right direction." Steve sighs next to me, our little army walks behind us. "Do you think this is the right way?"

"I don't know." I shrug, showing him the rest of the black burned map. "Our map got burned through our jump to the other side while everything was blowing up. Bucky, are you alright?"

"Hm?" He blinks, waking up from his daydream and stares at me. He's been walking quietly next to me the whole time which just makes me nervous and insecure, not knowing what to do. "Yeah, I just could use a shower."

"I think we all could." Steve agrees and I can't help but keep thinking of Schmidt's -or how I call him now- Red Skull's words. He intends to harm my world, it sounded like a promise. And I just can't get rid of the creepy feeling that with world he doesn't just mean my country but also the people I care about, especially since he mentioned Howard. And Howard even told me that Hydra once tried to attack him.

"We should arrive soon. Three days walking are enough, even for me." God, what would I do for Mr Jarvis' tea now? And some of his self-made biscuit.

"If we won't land in France." Dugan adds jokingly. "Y'a know, you're quite impressive, Eve. I understand now why you're Bucky's girl, not everyone would be insane like that and fight against Hydra."

Bucky suddenly shoots me a look, asking with his eyes if I want to be called that. I signal to him that we can talk about this later since we look pretty rough and exhausted. Also, I don't think it's a good opportunity to make a declaration of love or anything in the wilderness with dozens of soldiers.

"Thanks." I smirk half forced. "It doesn't happen every day that I threaten the leader of a german terror group."

"We arrived!" Someone shouts and I look forward, recognizing the camp from the distance. A breath of relief leaves my mouth, even though it is assumed that Colonel Philips is gonna kill us.

"Look who's back." Howard walks towards me when we enter the camp and grins, next to him stands Peggy. "We thought you were dead."

"Who's that?" Bucky frowns at Howard, a hint of disapproval is in his eyes and his tone tells me that he doesn't seem to be overzealous.

"You're late." Peggy tells Steve and I recognize a little smirk behind her severity. He smiles like a fool and lifts the damaged transponder, just to prove to her that he tried everything to call her. And he actually did, I even used my powers to revive the device at his request but it didn't work.

"Couldn't call my ride." Then he turns to Colonel Philips who approaches us. "Some of them need medical examination. I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."