22. The Real Howard Stark

Dear Eve,
I'm glad to hear that you come to terms with your new situation, I was almost worried that you'd have struggles to get along with the others there. The camp here is really hard, I'm completely behind because I'm the weakest guy. But I don't give up, here are two people who support me as well. And I'm happy that you're there, it must be amazing. Just be careful, okay? You always forget to take care of yourself. By the way, have you heard anything of Bucky?

-Steve

His letter makes me more than just happy, it's like a piece of home has returned to me although I had to wait four weeks for an answer. My strength and motivation grow but his last question keeps me awake since midnight. I haven't heard anything of Bucky, Howard also assured me that he heard nothing. Where are you?

I stand up, the clock tells me that it's 2am. I'm supposed to be sleeping, tomorrow is the day where I learn how to shoot a gun and I'm honestly slightly nervous about using it. A gun is a powerful weapon and takes a lot responsibility. As I walk to the door, deciding to take a little walk, I feel how my muscles hurt, due to the training every day. I would smile proudly at my progress if I wasn't so concerned about Bucky.

Leaving the corridor, I walk to the small conference room where I have been just a few times. It's actually more a common room for us, there will be more conferences when Project Reborn has succeeded. I quietly open the door, trying not to cause any noises that could wake up the others. My only aim is to find a book to get distracted but a hand is suddenly placed on my shoulder. I immediately react and grab the wrist of the hand, twisting it slightly.

"Ouch!" Howard yelps, trying to free himself. "It's just me, just me! You've seriously become too strong."

"God, Howard! You bloody scared me!" I whisper-shout and remove my hand. A look at him is enough to know that he wasn't about to go to sleep as well, he doesn't even wear pajamas. "What are you doing here?"

"I was about to ask you the same until you attacked me!" He complains in a dramatic tone and I roll my eyes. I barely twisted his wrist.

"Well, I asked first." I point out matter-of-factly, folding my arms. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Jarvis showed up to offer us tea now.

"If you think I could fall asleep that easily- "

"Is it because of your Manhattan Project?" I interrupt him, remembering that he feels guilty about his invention. Guilt had kept me awake for a while too, it's a crappy feeling. He first pauses, not even responding to my question but then it seems like he has changed his mind and nods slightly. His pride is probably too high to talk about his actual feelings.

"Not my favorite topic to talk about." He admits, a nervous laugh escapes his lips. "Let's go inside before we wake up the others."

I nod agreeing and we walk into the room. He immediately sits down on a chair while I turn on the light. "Tell me more about this atomic bomb. I actually know nothing."

"Because it's a secret project, pretty dangerous, even for me too much."

"You're aware of how much you suck at keeping secrets, right?" I narrow my eyes, recalling how he told me about Hydra too. A small grin forms across his lips in the weak light, brightening up the mood for a moment.

"I worked on the Manhattan Project with someone else who was the leader of it. We created the first atomic bomb together, it's still a prototype but much more dangerous than my flying car. It's a nuclear weapon, explosive, and could probably destroy an entire city by blast, fire and radiation. It just causes mass destruction." He explains and I swallow, pressing my lips together. "The government has the control over it. If they decide to blow up Japan, it'll be my fault."