30. On Cloud Nine

1944

"Why do we need to do this again?" I sigh, my arms are crossed over my chest. The camera is focused on Steve, Bucky and me, standing in our uniforms in front of an old building. Behind the device is a whole crew, lead by Howard who's wearing a ridiculous hat. He loves to play director.

"Documentary for the people and the future." He answers, smirking amused. "I always wanted to make my own movie. And I was like 'why not have Eve in it?'"

"Stop talking you two." Bucky groans on my right, jealousy is written all over his face. I grin, nudging him playfully.

"You're my boyfriend, you know that, right?"

"And, uh, what are we supposed to do?" Steve asks on my left, being rather nervous and stiff. I guess that he's just used to be on stage but not to be filmed from such a close distance. "Should we just act natural? I don't even know what to do."

"Basically, yes." Peggy nods, watching us from Howard's position. "Just like in the shots we made during your missions on the truck and all. It should just show who you are and how you defeat the Germans."

"I don't really know how to act naturally."

"You also don't know when you should move out of Eve's apartment, now that she's my girlfriend." Bucky hides his comment among a fake cough, his hint is not very subtle.

"Bucky!" I nudge him, then I turn to my left. "Steve, I'm not gonna throw you out that easily, I mean, you don't have another place to stay. And I won't let you be homeless. Besides that, we have lived together for an eternity."

"It's okay, Eve, I'm gonna find something. Apart from that, we still don't know when we're even gonna go back."

"See? He's okay with it!"

"Bucky, stop!" I try to sound stern but I can't help but laugh slightly. "Do we need to discuss our relationship right now when we're in front of a camera and are filmed for an important documentary? Howard, there won't be any of this conversation in the movie, right?"

"I wish there would be." Howard chuckles. "Don't worry, there won't be any sound. Just talk about some memories or something."

"Remember when Steve used to wear newspapers in his shoes?" I mention with a giggle, imagining the old small Steve from Brooklyn. Now when I look at him, it's like I look at a mountain. "Tell me, what's your shoe size now? Did it go from 7.5 to 12?"

"Seriously? You bring that up now?" Steve arches his brows. "Stop making fun of me."

"Puberty hit him like a bus." Bucky presses his lips together, refraining from laughing and I snort, covering my mouth with my hand. A great idea arises in my mind and I start singing, making everyone laugh. Bucky sings along, accompanying the famous melody of the patriotic song.

"Who's strong and brave, here to save the American Way?
Who vows to fight like a man for what's right night and day?
Who will campaign door-to-door for America,
Carry the flag shore to shore for America,
From Hoboken to Spokane,
The Star Spangled Man with a Plan!"

"You guys are a horrible couple." Steve groans jokingly but ends up laughing next to me. I burst into laughter as well as Bucky joins us. The camera catches our happy faces and laughs, keeping this moment in a shot for the future.