7. Face the Past

B U C K Y

"I think I've got everything prepared... The car is gassed up, there's enough food at the lake house, our stuff is in the car, the birthday gift is also ready and... and... " I try to remember the last thing that was on my mental list, but end up groaning. My eyes land on my best pal for help. "Steve, can you remember the last thing?"

"Swimming togs." Steve finishes the list and half grins mischievously. "Don't tell me Bucky Barnes is nervous? Come on, it's just Eve, our  best friend. It wouldn't be the first time that we hang out with a girl." He friendly reminds me of the dozen other girls that I've dated before, but they were all the same- fake and ordinary, eventually boring as hell.

"Shut up." I glare at him playfully but my lips form into a little smirk. It's crying, Bucky, we're standing under the crying sky! Her excited voice still echoes through my mind and I can picture her bright smile as well, full of life and passion. My hopes to see that smile at the lake again are high, leaving me grinning like a lovesick fool. I don't know why, but the way she talks and thinks about different things in life makes me love them too.

"It seems to be serious for you this time." Steve notices half surprised. "Actually, I should've seen that sooner. You haven't stopped talking about her since we actually met her."

"She doesn't notice my efforts though." I groan at the failure of the progress. I've never failed that much with a girl.

"Maybe you should call her doll or darling sometimes." He simply suggests, shrugging. "She should have actually noticed it by now since you planned her whole birthday."

"No, this doesn't work." I shake my head, remembering the night I had brought her home. "She hates pet names. And I don't want to risk our friendship by actually asking her out for a date."

"I wouldn't risk it either. She's great." He nods, understanding and I narrow my eyes. It's actually the first time that Steve is complimenting a girl and how long do I know him? Seven years. A suspicious feeling spreads disturbingly over my chest, almost wanting me to panic.

"You don't like her, do you?" I ask sharply and he starts laughing, breaking the emerging tension.

"God, Bucky, calm down. She's just my friend, I could even grade us as siblings. But there is hope for you, she actually seemed to be bothered by you and Ruth together." Relief takes over, making me feel a bit more comfortable.

"Okay, and as her friend you could ask her out."

"What am I supposed to do, huh? Just step up to her and be like 'Hey, Eve, would you like to date Bucky? Yes? No? Amazing'?"

"It's not a bad start." I shrug, smirking as he slaps me playfully. But he stops, when the curtains get removed and the person that we're talking about shows up. Although she is beautiful as always, Eve somehow looks more pale than usual and her green eyes lack a certain shine.

"Happy Birthday!" Steve congratulates her happily and pulls her into a hug, but she somehow acts like a lifeless doll, not really hugging him back.

"Is something wrong?" I frown at her weird behavior and she forces a smile.

"Thanks, Stevie. And no, nothing's wrong. I'm just not feeling very well, a little headache, that's it." Her skin is almost as white as chalk and she's shaking a bit.