58. Broken Dreams

'Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper I love you
Birds singin' in the sycamore trees
Dream a little dream of me'

The scraping of a record player intertwines with the voice of Ella Fitzgerald, the melody of the old song spreads through the house, coming from outside. I look around; the huge mansion is completely unknown to me, no pictures or any personal objects can tell me who lives here. My heart leaps nervously to my throat and anxiety tightens my chest when I realize that I'm not in the present. Deciding to slowly follow the music, I open the glass door and enter the beautiful sunny day in the garden.

"Eve, where have you been??" Steve walks towards me with a bright smile that I haven't on his face for an eternity. His clothes slightly make me nauseous, he's wearing a shirt and pants from the forties. "Everyone's waiting for you!"

"Everyone?" I frown irritated and he leads me to the prepared table. My eyes widen at the brunette person who removes his sunglasses, his chocolate brown eyes glancing at me as his lips under his mustache form a cocky smirk. My throat becomes dry as I'm paralyzed in shock. "Howard?"

'Say nighty-night and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me'

"Obviously." The millionaire replies, raising a brow in the air. "Something wrong? Not enjoying the music?"

"Are you alright, Miss Farrell?" Mr Jarvis asks me concerned and I turn around, seeing the butler with a tray that has a can of lemonade and some glasses. The sick feeling in my stomach grows, the shock still overwhelming me.

"Jarvis..." I almost whisper and Peggy exits from the house, joining us in the garden. Her brown curls twirl on her shoulder and her blood red lips release a laugh as she slips beneath Steve's arm, her hand lying on his chest. I suddenly feel a heavy weight on my chest, emotions flood into my heart. "Peggy... You... are all alive?"

"Mom!" A female child calls happily and the voice strikes me like lightning. The blood in my veins freezes and a cold shiver runs down my spine. Turning around, I spot the brunette little girl running towards me with a laughing face. "Help me! Dad's chasing me!"

'Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I'm longin' to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this'

"I'll catch you, Rosie!" In the next moment, Bucky appears, running after her as he laughs brightly. Placing his arms around her waist, he picks our daughter up while she squeals and giggles. I just stare at them and feel how pain constantly stabs into my chest, over and over again. It's him. The Bucky I fell in love with, the bubbly one with short hair who isn't broken or used as a weapon. It's him with our dead child.

"Come on, canary, you promised our daughter to play with her." Bucky smiles at me and I'm still dumbfounded, too emotionally dysfunctional to react, especially now that he's using my old nickname. He puts Rosie down and she sends my gone friends a smile.

"Uncle Howard, Jarvis! You're here!" She squeals and hugs the two of them, Howard smirks genuinely at the innocent child.

"Hey, Rose, your true dad is back." He says jokingly and receives a slap against his arm from Peggy.

"Howard, stop telling her that you're her father, you're confusing her!"