6. Under the Crying Sky

A/N- Please listen to the song "Flowers in your Hair" by the Lumineers while reading, it fits very well and I also added it to the chapter. Enjoy!

"Okay, careful... careful... Ouch!" Steve splutters in pain, clenching his teeth and I immediately pull my hands back. The bandage around his arm becomes loose immediately; I'm trying my best but I'm really not experienced with all of this, especially because I'm not a doctor and don't know exactly about his condition.

"Sorry." I mutter and reach for the white cloth, starting to bandage his arm again. "Okay, got it, this time not too tight. By the way, you haven't told me how this happened. Bucky just told me that you got beat up."

"Yeah, well..." He rubs his neck nervously with his hand and a look at his face is not necessary to know that he's blushing. Instead, I stay focused on bandaging. "Some guys provoked me and I was too stubborn to ignore it. I defended myself and it ended up in a fight behind the diner where my arm hit the dumpster a bit too hard. Oh, thanks."

I let out a sigh as I finish bandaging his arm. "Well, at least you could complete your painting and your arm is almost fully healed. Mr Donovan would've freaked out since the performance is already tomorrow. Of course, your arm would have healed faster if you could afford proper medicine."

"I know, I know." Steve mumbles, glancing at his left arm and sinking down his hand.

"Why didn't you just run away? I know, you have asthma, but they couldn't beat you up in the diner because of the people there. I'm sure you're able to run fast enough."

"It's not like that." He shakes his head determinedly. "Running away means escaping responsibility, being a coward. I rather confront my problems than avoid them. Sure, I get hurt, but these are my consequences and I'm the one who has to deal with them."

"Oh, Steve." I sigh still half fascinated by his brave and touching words as I flick my finger against his forehead with a smirk. He flinches in astonishment and blinks fluttery while he knits his brows. "And I always thought Bucky is the one who causes trouble. If you go on with that, the hospital will eventually be your new home."

He smiles, then his face gets softer and more serious. "Bucky told me what you did. You defended me and almost got into a fight."

"Yeah, because of that, I'm sorry that your name even got into that discussion, it was just a stupid girl fight and I've never even thought that I'd get into one- "

"Eve, I want to thank you." He interrupts me kindly with a small chuckle. "The only person that has ever defended me like that is Bucky. Thank you. I really appreciate it."

Thank you. His words echo through my mind, settling down to give me a lighthearted feeling. His blue eyes beam with gratitude and his presence reminds me of a little, younger brother, although he's one year older than me. I haven't heard these words often, it's still a strange feeling to hear them with a sincerity like Steve's.

"You're like a brother to me, Steve. Of course, I defend you." I nudge him playfully and he grins shyly. We both cringe though when the curtain gets briskly removed by Bucky who enters the backstage. On his head is dark top hat and he's wearing the Mad Hatter costume which is made of a leather coat, a scarf and black boots. To be honest, he looks even more handsome than usual.

"I finally found you!" He smirks brightly at me and makes a ridiculous pose, presenting the Mad Hatter. "What do you think? How do I look?"