18. Last Words

"God, you shouldn't have talked to this idiot, now your nose is bleeding." I sigh, trying my best to clean Steve's bloody nose with a tissue. All we wanted to do was watch the new cartoon in the cinema after his attempt to register for the army failed again thanks to his diseases. Then there was this guy who couldn't shut up and of course, it led to an alley fight. Luckily, I could convince the guy to stop and leave. I hate alleys.

"I had to." He mutters, wiping the blood roughly away like a toddler. It's like I have a little brother to take care of. "He didn't show any respect."

"Stop it, you're ruining your jacket." I sigh at his blood smudged sleeves. "If it's because of the enlistment form, don't be angry. I know that you tried your best, even though you lied on your enlistment form, and it'll eventually work but... seriously, Paramus? Did it have to be Jersey? Shame on you, Brooklyn kid."

"Sometimes I think you like getting punched." My eyes widen at the familiar voice behind me, the voice that I missed for two whole months. My heart makes a jump as I turn around and desperately want to pull him into a tight hug. I have missed him way too much, but the uniform makes me stop. The army uniform.

"Bucky, you're back!" Steve rejoices happily and Bucky just smirks confidently. He looks even more muscular than before, also his position is different, more stiff and stricter. Like a soldier.

"You got your orders..." My voice loses its strength and although it should have come out as a question, it's more a statement that I try not to be terrified of. I know what I'm doing is not much better, but I'm just scared to lose him, not to die.

"The 1- 0- 7th. Sergeant James Barnes." He introduces himself, slightly faking a proud tone. "Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow."

"I should be going." Disappointment runs through Steve's voice and I press my lips together, trying not to be too shocked that we just have one day left till he's leaving. Less than 24 hours till he's gone and I have no idea what I should do. But on the other hand, I'll be leaving, too, soon, next week. An agent should pick me up, yet I have no idea how to tell Bucky about it.

"Come on, man!" Bucky puts an arm around Steve, being all enthusiastic like the Bucky Barnes that I know. "It's my last night. Gotta get you cleaned up. I organized dates for us, so you need to be dressed prettier than usual, canary."

"Wait a moment, dates?" I tilt my head, finding that idea horrible because I'm not interested in dating some strangers. Even Steve doesn't seem to be all too excited about that. Bucky hands Steve the newspaper while he gets closer to me as I feel his breath on my skin.

"Don't worry, I just got a nice dame for Steve. He really needs to start talking to other women than you." He assures me and I slightly frown.

"And who's the guy you got for me? Is it a friend from the camp?"

"Well, he wears a uniform and- oh, surprise, it's me. I'm gonna be your date." He grins and I forget to breathe for a second, falling completely silent and speechless. It's the first time that he calls us hanging out a date which is really huge progress for me.

"Where are we going?" Steve asks him curiously and Bucky's smirk just widens.

"The future."

***

"It's starting!" Bucky shouts excitedly as we are standing in the crowd of the World Exposition fair. Fireworks recolor the night and the sound of all the people clapping fills the air. It's pretty crowded but we get to stand in the first line, having a good view of the stage where a red automobile is placed. "By the way, have I told you that you look really beautiful in this violet dress?"