70. The Trial of James Barnes

"Are you guys ready?" Tony asks Steve and me with his eyes hidden behind sunglasses as we get to the court in his limousine. Meanwhile Bucky is carried in a bunker with handcuffs, Sam watching him. Sam and I didn't talk about his conversation with Bucky yesterday, but he shot me a knowing look this morning. "Because I'm for sure not. It'll be rough in there."

"Thanks, that really cheers me up." I roll my eyes, hissing when I move my cheek too much whilst talking. The stitches sting and I press my hand against it. At least the bruises got covered up with make-up. Tony leans back into his seat, it's actually a rather rare occasion to see him in such an expensive suit like this again. He's been walking around in pajamas lately. "Will Fury show up? His statement could be helpful."

"He's planning on how to take Hydra down, we finally got news about their location. If today ends well, we're gonna leave tomorrow. The base is in the Alps." Steve informs me and I turn around, raising a brow in the air. "Fury will show up if it's necessary though."

"So, it's the original base that we invaded back in the forties?" I frown and he nods, looking out of the window but immediately wincing back when a tomato suddenly hits the glass. Tony and I just now check on the borough the court is in, driving through a huge and angry crowd. "What's going on??"

"As sympathizers of Barnes, we haven't been exactly the favorites of the people." Tony explains, sighing. "Happy, can you drive faster?"

"Okay, first you forced me to take care of this girl a few months ago and now you want me to what, drive over people?" Tony's security guard Happy complains, groaning. "But alright, you're my boss."

"Wait, what girl?" I question and Tony just brushes it off with his hand, not giving this matter a second thought.

"Thor asked me on his brother's behalf for a favor to watch over this girl in Alabama before everything with Ultron happened. Just lasted six months, belongs to the past. You were busy with D.C. anyway."

"Loki?" I raise a brow in the air, the confusion just growing. What the hell did I miss? Sharing a glance with Steve, he doesn't seem to know what happened either. The building of the court is now finally in our sight as the furious crowd just increases with each second.

"Okay, we arrived, let's go, let's go." Tony motions for us to leave the limo and weirdly avoids the topic. I push my thoughts aside and focus back on the actual problem, the flurry settling down in my stomach. Getting out of the car, the angry shouts of the people greet us, especially Bucky who leaves in handcuffs with Sam and five other guards the bunker.

"Murderer!"

"Terrorist!"

"Rot in hell!"

"Hypocrite!"

"The Avengers work with monsters!"

Even though the security guards shield us and therefore prevent our view from the crowd and their posters, I don't need to look to know what's standing there. I only glance at Bucky whose face seems to look completely blank and lost but his eyes beam pain and guilt. Helplessly, I shoot Steve a desperate look while we go up the stairs, urgently wanting to defend Bucky but he just sighs and shakes his head. If we said anything now, we would just make it worse.

Entering the New York County Courthouse, flashing lights and the press hold us back shortly, Forcing the guards to free our way. I really want to turn around and check on Bucky, support him and hold his hand but I can't. We  walk directly into courtroom and I clench my jaw, my nails digging nervously into the cloth of my black blazer.