23.

I finish my soup before dawn and I head over to Cole's tent-ready for another day of training.

"Cole." I shout.

I hear him grunt in response and the flap opens and I step inside.

Cole stands by his desk, shirtless-his back facing me. I can't help but notice the faint scars than fleck his tanned skin.

I blush as Cole turns around.

Obviously the planes of his chest were tight and muscular and its an effort not to stare. I tear my eyes away and focus on his face-praying that he cannot see my blush. His golden bed hair is sticking up and I notice purplish marks beneath his eyes.

"Cole." I chide,"You haven't slept-at all."

He sighs and runs his hand through his hair,"I guess..."

"You guess?!" I scold.

He winces, but composes himself,"Wait here, the Commander wants to see me."

I avert my eyes as Cole pulls on a shirt over his head and walks out.

He returns ten minutes later,"Let's go." Is all he says.

I spring up from my seat and follow him, strapping my daggers to my hips. Cole throws a rucksack over his shoulder and leads me through the woods. A familiar clearing is up ahead.

We used to hunt in this clearing once in a while and this is the clearing where I first spotted the Afrikans. The clearing is currently deserted of animals.

I stop in my tracks,"We're going to the Afrikans?"

I can see the Afrikan camp up ahead. They haven't left yet, but they're sticking to their spot on the beach.

Cole sets his pack on the ground in a spot where we can keep an eye on the Afrikans. In a few minutes, Cole has set up a tent.

"Cole..." I begin panicking.

"Relax we're just spying on them." Cole assures.

I roll my eyes,"Right. 'Cause that makes me feel so much better."

"You're right." He pauses,"I should have told you where we were going beforehand, but the Commander advised me against it."

"Why?"

"The benefit of doubt and well...'cause she thought you'd back out."

Probably, but I still smack Cole upside the head and then help him set up the interior of the tent.

The tent. It's way smaller than the tents  back at camp. It was only small enough to fit two sleeping bags and a few small pillows.

We train most of the day, only stopping for food and regular checks on the Afrikans. It begins to grow dark when we finally stop. I'm not as tired as I used to be, but fatigue and weariness tug at my limbs.

I'm yawning as I crawl into my sleeping bag. My eyes begin to droop shut when I hear chattering from outside.

Afrikans

Cole is outside! I begin to worry-despite the fact that I know he can take care of himself. As a precaution, I reach for my daggers. After a few minutes, the chattering grows distant and eventually dies out.

The flap opens and I tense. But when Cole enters I immediately relax.

"What-"

"Afrikans. They saw the tent and came over. I told them I was training my girlfriend." Cole provides.