31.

Cole and I walk back to camp, our fingers intertwined.

A comfortable silence envelopes us and I bask in this moment, hoping that it never ends.

My heart stutters in my ribcage as I take in the sight ahead of me.

Smoke rises from the camp as we inch closer. As we enter the camp, the putrid scent of ash clings to my nostrils.

The Commander's tent is on fire.

C.T comes running over and Cole lets go of my hand.

"Cole! Lisa!" She pants,"The Afrikans, they..."

"They what?" Cole demands in an authoritative tone. 

"They came for revenge! They captured the Commander and set her tent on fire."

Captured the Commander? Burnt her tent?

I reach for Cole's hand and squeeze gently. He squeezes back.

"They're using the Commander to get us to cooperate." C.T gulps.

Another wave of shock passes through Cole and I.

"No." I say with utter disbelief.

C.T turns to Cole,"Commander, what are our orders?"

Commander.

Oh wait, Cole is-was second in command.

He leads us now.

"We have to get Angela back." He answers firmly.

"Angela?" C.T asks, puzzled.

"The Commander." Cole's in curt and short.

C.T nods with comprehension as Jamie comes bounding over.

"Commander, there is an Afrikan at Camp who demands to see you." Jamie pants.

Cole gestures for us to follow Jamie and Jamie leads out group.

"Cole..." My voice trails off.

"We'll sort this through, I promise." He says and kisses our intertwined hands.

The tanned Afrikan stands casually at the Camp border.

He speaks loudly in clear and precise English,"You attacked our camp yesterday and stole our maps. In exchange, we've taken your Commander. She still breathes and will continue to do so as long as you follow our intructions."

"I could just kill you. Right now. Right here." Cole growls.

"If I don't return by nightfall, they'll slit your Commander's throat an her head will be all that is left of her."

"And what are these instructions you speak of?" Cole asks coldly.

"Cole!" I protest,"We can't give in."

But Cole doesn't even look at me.

"First, you'll have curfew and none of you are to leave the Camp. The rest of your orders shall be given to you tomorrow." The Afrikan man's eyes land on me,"The attack has been rescheduled to next week."

I gasp.

The Afrikan smirks and disappears into the foliage of the forest around Camp.

--

Its past midnight and I'm still poring over the Afrikan maps.

From behind, Cole wraps his muscular arms around me and his teeth graze my earlobe.

I shiver as goosebumps arise on my skin merely from his touch.

He kisses my exposed neck and I melt.

I push the butterflies away and turn serious,"Why did you accept their orders?" I ask, turning to face him.

"I can't refuse, Lisa. They'll kill the Commander. We need her to survive. I'm not capable enough to be Commander."

I rest my palm on his chest, above his heart,"What are we going to do?"

"I-I don't know." He stammers and I've never seen Cole so unsure,"We'll find away. Together." He answers, kissing me fiercely.

I pull back after a few moments,"Cole, can I ask you something?" I play with the hem of my shirt,"Its really random."

"You can ask me anything. Anything. For you."

I avert my eyes from his intense gaze,"Umm...how did your mom...die?"

He stiffens but he lifts my chin, forcing me to look at him,"I was nine. They send my mother and I to the Outside because my mom...she had stolen medicine for our neighbor's son who was ill. The Saviors found out and assumed I was involved as well so they sent us both out."

I wrap in my arms and he rests his chin on my head as he continues,"As we walked away from the force field, a Guard thought it would be better to end us rather than letting us suffer. He shot my mother and she crumpled then he tried to shoot me. He missed. I was so scared. I hid in the bushes and only came out when the Guard's shift ended. I dragged my dying mother around the woods. I-I watched her die. I buried her  on the cliff and wandered for days until I came across Camp."

I kiss away the few stray tears that had leaked from his brimming eyes.

"And your father?" I gently whisper.

"He died in quarantine from sickness."

"I'm sorry."

He cuts me off with a warm kiss.