Chapter 13

Act Two

Chapter 13

For James the nine-hour flight seemed to pass in an instant. Every experience felt new and exciting, from the view above the carpet of clouds to the attractive ladies, called flight attendants, who seemed bemused by his presence. A casually dressed young lad among a sea of Brooks Brothers suits, with a companion who looked like she'd stepped off the cover of Playboy, hardly blended with your average business class traveler.

He already knew part of the initial arrangements from Calley long before the huge Boeing 747 touched down at LAX. They'd be met by Colleen and Sonia and spend their first night in Los Angeles before driving up the scenic coast highway to Monterey. The Colleen Green Show had been running on KTLA daytime TV for almost five years, without a hint of a ratings drop. Calley insisted her mother could move up to a prime-time slot whenever she pleased. Network offers had been made. She enthused over each parent with equal gusto, assuring him both lived superbly well by any standard. He gleaned no sense of why they had split other than the carnal career move Colleen had made in relation to Uri Wasserman. Calley shrugged and insisted it was just the way things were done in that business, not something the average outsider could begin to understand.

James nodded his agreement and ordered another canned Coke to go with his British Airways lobster thermidor. Everything had begun happening so fast he didn't try to make sense of anything any more. And since it all seemed delightful, why even bother with logic or reason? He controlled nothing. He rode a whirlwind carnival ride and getting off wasn't an option. Calley had a phrase: just feel the rhythm and go with it. Well by God, he did feel it, not the crushing grief everyone else expected him to exhibit. Screw logic. Screw people. Carpe diem.

***

Calley breezed through customs and passport control, but not James. His new temporary British passport came under scrutiny and every scrap of paperwork underwent meticulous inspection. But as it turned out Silverman had done his job, and James was finally turned loose into the open arms of La-La land.

At the gate a porter took charge of the bags. "Look, James, there's Sonia," Calley pointed into a small crowd.

James felt another pang of nervousness. At first he couldn't sort out whom she meant from the swath of faces—then all of a sudden he did. Sonia stood on tiptoe waving back. No mistake. Smaller than Calley, closer to his size, but the features were unmistakable. Eyes, mouth, cheekbones, hair color all matched. Amazing petit figure in denim shorts and a tank top.

All his fears were back. Another bloody goddess to contend with. If she doesn't like me will it put Calley off? A myriad of potential problems coursed through his head as the gap closed.

The sisters hugged and caressed with more affection than James had ever seen between siblings. As usual he hung back nervously until Calley broke from her sister and grabbed him.

"This," she announced triumphantly, dragging him forward by the sleeve, "is James. Did I lie? He's the best looking cousin you're likely to get, but I saw him first, so hands off."

Did I lie? They've been talking about me on the phone. When? Why?

"Oooh, he is nice. Do you let him talk for himself?"

"You're such an asshole, Sonia. Don't mind her, James."

"Hi, James." Sonia stuck out a hand. "You'll get used to this family. The good news is: we're not all like Calley. Can I be the first to say welcome to California?"