Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Sonia and Calley sat together, cross-legged on his bed facing each other. He closed the door quietly.

"What was that about, James?" Calley said, not turning.

James couldn't tell the truth. He desperately needed to talk to Calley alone, but knew if he asked Sonia to leave there'd be no end of questions later. He'd have to bide his time. Joby's call had also cranked down his mood from bawdy to dour. They were bound to notice that change.

"Oh nothing much. Bob wanted to see the photos I took today," he lied nervously, hoping Robert wouldn't mention Joby's call during supper.

Calley pointed off to the right. "Then how come they're still on the dresser by your camera?"

"I... I was going to get them, only we started talking about today." Internally he'd begun cursing himself. "I should take them down to him now."

"Before you do that little thing, Sonia wants to say something."

Sonia turned slightly and looked up. Her eyes seemed watery. "You never had sisters or brothers, did you, James?"

Mutely he shook his head.

"Lots of sisters fool around when they are growing up. We were left alone too much so we experimented with role-play. It was part of exploring our immature sexuality. It doesn't make us lesbians—quite the opposite."

Calley made a movement with her head. "Sit down, James. Dad can wait a bit longer for the photos. Professor Sonia hasn't finished yet."

The sister lightly clipped Calley's arm. "You!"

James reluctantly perched on the corner of the bed.

"Calley knows what I like because we talk about it and we, well... show each other. We talk about you a lot. I wasn't drawn to you despite being your cousin. I think it was more because we are cousins. It's an extension of what Calley and I have. When you admitted outright having sex with her I wasn't so much shocked as envious. My reaction may have seemed like indignation, but underneath I wanted to know what it felt like. Felt like with a relative I suppose. There's no other way to put it. You are a relative, yet you don't seem like one. If all this makes me a pervert, then fine—screw it. So long as you don't think I am."

James's head spun. One part of him wanted to continue with the sisters so badly it hurt. The other part still felt numbed by Joby's ominous call. Mixed emotions were piling up so fast he wasn't sure he'd ever be able to think straight.

"Well say something to her," Calley prompted. "You're one lucky bastard, James, so don't fuck it up."

***

James held his breath all through supper, but Robert said nothing about Joby's call. It seemed Robert had forgotten it entirely. But he did mention the joyride episode with Tony Scott again. In retrospect, Robert felt he over reacted and understood it had been a chance of a lifetime for the boy. He even went so far as admitting a little envy, quickly adding that he'd always been prone to motion sickness or he'd have taken a fast spin himself. This prompted another exchange of snickering from the girls and glaring from Robert. By the end of the meal Calley had baited him so many times he looked exasperated.

"When you start a family, James," Robert said, getting up and flinging down his napkin, "don't have girls. They'll drive you to drink. I need a brandy."

Calley latched onto James. "Let's go outside by the pool. It's warm tonight. Feel like a swim?"

"What about the others?"

She glanced over her shoulder. "Superman's going to watch TV and suck on a brandy bottle. He'll be asleep within the hour. Sonia will join us when she's done packing her bag."

James shook his head. "Packing? Why?"

"I thought I told you. She's flying down to LA in the morning to be with Colleen for a couple of days. Then the both of us are going to join them. While we're there I intend working on Mom. Her show will be over for the season and I hope to persuade her to come up here. Dad misses her, even though the pig-headed fool will never admit it."

They went outside through the French doors leading from the study. Everywhere pine scent hung in the air. He took Calley's hand. "But what about Prunella? Bob is courting her now."

"Be real, James. You've seen them together. She's a corporate asset, not a piece of ass. Colleen can ring his bell better than any woman alive. There's not a middle-aged man on the planet who wouldn't want a night with her. Prune Face could still be a virgin for all I know."

"Gosh, you really dislike the woman. It isn't her fault she's not pretty."

This time Calley shook her head. "I'm bitchy because Dad had it all. Look at him now. He's turning into a solid bore—what you'd call a wanker. Women like Pru do that to men. It scares me how much he's changed in only a year. If he sees Colleen about the house again it might bring him to his senses. I hid once and watched them going at it—I think I was nine or ten. They were fantastic lovers. It's hard to believe the way he is now."

"What does Sonia think?"

"She's with me one-hundred percent on this. We've got to get them in each other's faces. Your stay over the summer is going to help make it happen. The older guy mom's dating in LA isn't much of a companion. He's functioning kind'a like Pru is with Dad: a useful business connection with the networks. I know she's frustrated, but she won't screw around. Not after the unholy mess with Uri. She never stops punishing herself."

As dusk prompted the usual light mist to creep up the forested slopes they got comfortable beside the stonework pool. A small waterfall trickled over lava rocks and water lilies. Like the house, the pool looked old, charming and perfectly integrated into the landscape.

James was burning to talk about the Joby Benson call, but decided to leave it until the morning, after Sonia left for LA. Suddenly he felt the dichotomy—one half an outsider, the other fully integrated into family affairs and melded with their lives. A few weeks ago he'd known nothing about them; now he felt part of it all. They'd involved him—bundled him into the excitement and personal intrigue that inevitably occurred when extreme wealth coupled with hereditary dysfunction. It promised to be a rough night and he wondered if he'd sleep.

He'd begun plunging headfirst into manhood and discovering it to be very deep water.

A big thanks to all you readers who have voted or commented on Cherry Orphan, it means a lot to me. I'm always happy to reply to any reader, be they fan or critic.

My home page https://www.wattpad.com/user/Thrillwriterdotcom