Chapter 49

Chapter 49

When Robert returned to the yacht only Colleen remained, waiting, and for that small mercy he felt glad. His deceptions were over now; she would have to know it all. The white vessel gleamed in the high sun. Water reflected and danced along her sleek hull like rippled lines on a polygraph. There could be no more lies.

For an instant a wonderful thought occurred. Why not persuade Moko, the captain, to simply sail them away? Discover a deserted island and shut out the ugliness—what the real world had suddenly become despite all the pampered luxury and overindulgence.

The outboard engine cut, shattering his naïve illusion.

Colleen handed him a tall glass that tinkled with ice. The fantail deck came outfitted with an oval dining table where they sat and sipped their mint juleps in pregnant silence. She hadn't asked about the phone call or Tony or the police or anything else. He imagined her eyes glowering under the long, dark lashes despite being hidden behind mirrored Ray Bans.

Colleen waited.

"You know, don't you?" he said slowly.

"Do I? What do I know, Bob?" She put the glass down gently. "Maybe you should tell me what you think I know, then I'll tell you if you're right."

"Dammit, don't play games with me, I'm not in the mood."

"Okay, fair enough. I only have one question. How you answer it will shape where we go from here."

Before she could say another word Robert dumped the entire thing in a single blurted diatribe. "I lied to you when I said the investigators were acting on their own. The reason I lied should be obvious: I'd convinced myself you'd leave me for good if you discovered the extent of the screwed up mess I created. Calley needs us together. But instead of helping her I've jeopardized everything. I specifically paid them to hurt the people who sold her the drugs because of ego and pride." He took one final deep breath. "I put all of us at risk and now it's escalated. The latest development has shocked me—made me see what a total fool I've been." With that he clamed up and looked at her, trying to detect any reaction, however small.

Colleen began slowly, obviously taking her time and choosing her words. "I still have the same question, Bob. I'm not your father confessor, I'm the ex wife who only wants the best for her children."

Robert lowered his head. "I know."

"Then answer me this: how can I find a reason to trust you again? All your life you hated liars. When we broke up you made this big pompous speech about 'all I ever wanted from you was honesty'. A direct quote, if I'm not mistaken. Yet from the day I returned with what was left of our daughter—after Calley went through withdrawal hell—you have lied to me. Do you now set this high standard for everyone except yourself?"

What could he say? The bowed head went from side to side, disgusted at himself, knowing he deserved more than she'd dished out. Eventually he muttered, "then we're finished."

She took a drink. "Are we? This nasty thing isn't finished, is it? There's more bad news to tell. Finished is relative."

"I mean our feelings for each other—dammit, you know what I mean."

Almost sarcastically, "Oh, those feelings. Actually they never changed on my part. I still get off on Bob the man the same as I did when we first met. When I became the big disappointment—the whore, I hadn't changed, you changed. You're the one who couldn't stand to look at me... let's get it straight."