Chapter 50

Chapter 50

The moment Robert entered the office with his lawyer he could detect background tension. Introductions were polite and informal, but not particularly friendly.

Kosenkov sat to the far left, keeping rather quiet, the only face he recognized. The District Attorney for Monterey County, William Hammond, presided behind the desk of Salinas Police Chief Sam Ortega, with a male stenographer to his immediate right. Ortega did not attend. A regular SPD officer in short sleeves stood at ease by the door. He quietly slipped outside once everyone became settled.

Hammond got the ball rolling immediately. "You understand your position, Mr. Nameth?" he said, moving Ortega's swivel chair gently from side to side.

Mark Rabinski answered for him. Rabinski looked like a leaner version of Benny Goodman with a moustache replacing the clarinet. "I want to make sure we have a basic understanding here. No aspect of Keith Bosley's murder is attributable to Mr. Nameth. Not directly or indirectly."

"It's an ongoing investigation," Hammond responded to both men on the far side of the desk. "We do know the intent on Mr. Nameth's part. As to charges... well that remains to be seen. Cooperation is the key. Thanks to Sergeant Kosenkov's investigation team we now have two people under arrest, and looking over the evidence in the indictments is seems likely we will secure first degree murder convictions on both of them. These are known lynchpins in Monterey County drug traffic and have been on our most wanted list for some time. Events initiated by Mr. Nameth have resulted in the unfortunate death of an ex member of the Los Angeles police department and, I might add, someone still held in high regard by many on the force. On the positive side of the equation we've made a giant step toward getting dangerous drugs off the local streets and out of our schools. These people made a serious mistake when they killed Keith Bosley and it's my job to see to it they pay the highest price."

Robert spoke up, breaking his silence. "What you're saying is: I made them mad enough to kill—to make mistakes. But where does that leave me and my family?"

Hammond gave him a hard answer. "It's too bad you didn't think about that sooner. Bosley might still be alive."

"Now just a minute—" Rabinski tried to cut in.

Robert rested a hand on his lawyer's arm. He needed to respond to Hammond. "Let me say, I understand how much you want these criminals put away. You want them so bad you can taste it, but I'm not placing my daughter at risk any more than I have already. Not for any of you. If I could turn back the clock I would. I was naïve and foolish. God help me, I had no clue how vicious these people are. You don't need to censure me, Mr. Hammond, I'm fully aware of the danger I placed on my family. As for Mr. Bosley... he did what he did for money and I had no control over his methods. Despite that I deeply regret what happened to him."

Rabinski seemed basically okay with Robert's outburst and attempted to clarify. "What concerns Mr. Nameth most is the security of his family, and in particular his daughter, Calley. There have been threatening incidents at his estate as you know. He understands how urgently you want to interview Calley Nameth, but he also needs certain reassurances concerning her safety before he complies. This is not obstruction, only justifiable concern."

Hammond made a noncommittal face. "The department is perfectly within its rights to issue a subpoena, but we're hoping to avoid that. Maybe Sergeant Kosenkov can give Mr. Nameth the reassurance he requires." The District Attorney swiveled the chair and looked at the detective over his glasses. Hammond was well acquainted with Robert's standing in the Pebble Beach community and likely prepared to indulge this as far as practical.

It went without saying Kosenkov had his own agenda. A grand slam in this case could do wonders for his career in the Salinas Police Department. With the District Attorney watching so closely his moment of glory seemed at hand.

"There's something you and your lawyer should know about the man you hired," Kosenkov began with a rather aggressive tone. "Not that it makes much difference to the case, but it does serve to underscore your complete ignorance. Like you, Keith Bosley also had a daughter. She died from a drug overdose about ten years ago; I think she was fifteen. From that point Bosley maintained the highest record of arrests on the LAPD drug squad and the lowest record of successful convictions. His hatred of these criminals blinded him to procedure and ultimately caused him to act outside the sanction of his department. Bosley didn't much care how they went out of business, only that they did. It's true many LA police officers quietly admired Bosley's near vigilante approach, but we do things differently here, Mr. Nameth."

This prompted Rabinski to pipe up. "And how does this background impact the safety of my client's family? Mr. Nameth freely admits hiring the man to investigate his daughter's drug contacts, and he further admits it would have been better to do so through the proper channels. That said, this department hardly instills confidence when you take a close look at the performance record to date. Gentlemen let's be reasonable. Admittedly Bosley's death is awful and tragic. Despite this the community seems to have benefited by the outcome."

Kosenkov had taken instant dislike to Rabinski the moment he clapped eyes on the attorney and didn't bother hiding it especially well. "My point is this, Mr. Rabinski: our investigation into this murder is solid and completely above reproach. Convictions are all but assured provided everyone cooperates. That includes your client and his daughter. Security at the Pebble Beach estate is reinforced and the local police have stepped up patrols on my request. Bail has been denied. Believe it, we're putting these men away for life."

Robert wasn't buying that. "Look, Kosenkov, I'm not quite the fool you think I am. Every organization has its hierarchy. So you've arrested two big shots—how long will it be before they regroup?"

Menacingly Kosenkov stood up. "What do you want from me? You involved yourself. There's no way to buy guarantees."

Hammond flapped both his hands. "Okay calm down, everyone. Shouting won't help." He focused on Robert. "Bottom line here: we need your daughter as a material witness. It's true we could get convictions without her evidence, but I'd rather not take that chance. You started this on your own because you wanted to get back at the organization that sold your daughter drugs. Is there a better way than this?  Judges can't hand down life imprisonment without parole for drug dealing, but they can for murder. Bring Calley in now and I'll agree to complete immunity for both you and her."

Rabinski quickly took Robert aside; out of earshot of the others. "Do it, Bob. You can't keep her out of sight forever. I'll get a signed affidavit from Hammond. This is your best deal."

"Dammit, Mark, her face will be all over the media. They have me. The people she can identify are only small fry."

"She's the start of it all," Rabinski immediately countered. "I can see Hammond's point. They get a stronger conviction with her than without her. This way you're safe. Immunity means anything you or Calley say in court has no repercussions. Without it your ass is hanging in the breeze. Motives aside, you took the law into your own hands. If they want to be awkward they can be."

Robert swallowed deeply. He wanted more from Kosenkov, but knew he wouldn't get it. Even though it went against the grain Rabinski received a very brief nod of agreement.

It seems inevitable Calley will have to make a court appearance despite Robert's best efforts to keep her out of it. Will the media have a field day when they see how she looks and acts?

A big thanks to all you readers who have voted or commented on Cherry Orphan, it means a lot to me. I'm always happy to reply to any reader, be they fan or critic.

My home page https://www.wattpad.com/user/Thrillwriterdotcom