Chapter 4

Liliana's POV

"Hey Dr. Garcia. Nice to see you back at work." Jackson smiles when he sees me in the hallway.

"Wish I could say the same." I reply making him laugh.

"I see your injuries are healing quite well." Jackson says.

"It's called makeup." I rolled my eyes.

"So where are you heading?" He asks following me as I walk down the hallway.

"Why do you want to know, so you can steal one of my cases?" I ask.

"No, I'm trying to make conversation. That's what normal people do." Jackson says.

"Well, if you haven't figured it out by now I'm anything but normal." I smirk before walking away. I took a patient to CT to get scans, before being paged to the OR, where I scrubbed in with Derek for surgery.

"I saw you and Avery talking earlier." Derek smirked. "It seemed like you two were having a good conversation." Derek says as I assist him in surgery.

"Is any conversation with Jackson Avery ever good?" 

"What do you have against Avery?" He chuckled.

"He's an ass." I shrugged.

"Oh really?" He questioned.

"Yes really." I scoffed.

 "To me it seems like you're just upset that he stole your patient the other day?" Derek says.

"Derek, you weren't even at the hospital that day to know what happened."

"Then enlighten me."

"It wasn't just him stealing my patient. He was just so smug and arrogant. Jackson Avery thinks he's God's gift to earth. He doesn't know the meaning of humility." I say.

"Sounds like the male version of you." Derek joked.

"Does not. I'm not arrogant, I just know my worth." I shrug.

"Do you want to know what I think?" Derek asks me.

"Not really, but I'm sure you're going to tell me anyways." I sigh. Derek and I have always been close, but after George died he was really there for me and he's become my best friend. He's always giving me advice even when I don't want to hear it.

"I think that you're upset because Jackson challenged you with that patient the other day and he won. You're not used to losing, you've always been the best and all of a sudden someone from a different hospital comes in on their first day and invades your territory and you're pissed off about it." He says.

"Partly true." I agreed. "But it's not even just that. I'm really exhausted. Between George dying and Izzie leaving. I don't have the energy to try to let new people in or pretend to be welcoming when that's the last thing I'm feeling right now."

"Maybe a little bit of change isn't the end of the world. New people can be a good thing." Derek says.

"Maybe." I agree hoping he'll change the subject.

"Now that your mind is clear, I want you to take over and clip our patient's?"

"You're putting me in charge of the surgery?"

'Yeah, you've got this." He says handing me the surgical instruments.

I successfully take over and clip our patient's aneurysm. After completing surgery we take the patient to recovery. 

- -

"Are you coming to Arizona's party tonight?" I ask, walking into the NICU.  Alex has been there all day holding a baby that was born prematurely. Apparently the skin to skin contact has really helped the baby's vitals through the day.

"No. I think I'm just going to hang out here." He replies.

"Come on Alex. You need to have interaction, with adults. Don't you want to spend time with your friends?" I ask.

"Look, every time anyone sees me all they see is the man whose wife left him and they try to make unwanted sympathetic talk with me about a bunch of crap that I don't care about. I would rather sit here and help this baby then go to the party and deal with that tonight." He says.

"Okay, I understand." I sigh. Well I'm about to head out. Call me if you need anything." I say patting him on the back before walking out of the NICU to head to the party.

"Where is Alex?" Cristina asks when she sees me entering the apartment.

"He's not coming. Where's Owen?" I ask.

"Somewhere mad because I kicked ass in surgery without his permission." She says.

"Challenging your boyfriend, who's also you're attending. You're a badass Cristina Yang." I smirk making her laugh.

"I know." She shrugs.

"Quiet everyone. Arizona's about to walk in." Callie says shushing everyone.

"Surprise!" Everyone screams when Arizona walks through the door. It was obvious that was Arizona was shocked and seemingly doesn't like surprises because she immediately took off running away in tears with Callie running after her.

"That didn't go as planned." Cristina says to me before walking off.

I go over to Mark and Lexie and start talking to them for a little while before deciding to leave. It had been a long day and I was ready to go home and get some rest.

"I'm about to go, I'm exhausted. Have you guys seen Cristina? I wanted to tell her bye."

"I think she's in her room." Lexie says.

"Okay thanks Lex." I smile.

"Cristina" I called as I knocked on the door before walking in. As soon as I opened the door I was stunned to see her and Jackson kissing. Cristina noticed me at the door and quickly pushed Jackson away.

"This is not what it looks like." She says obviously flustered.

"It's none of my business. You don't have to explain anything to me. I just came to say bye." I say before walking off.

I don't know why, but I felt a twinge of jealousy seeing her and Jackson kissing. It wasn't like I liked Jackson. I actually hated him. At least I tried to convince myself that I did, but I wasn't so sure about that anymore.

I know this chapter was kind of boring but it is more of a filler chapter