Chapter 52

Liliana's pov

"I hear you're doing an acoustic neuroma tomorrow." Derek says joining me as I walk down the hallway.

"Yes, I am." I smile.

"That's a long difficult surgery with a high post excision mortality morbidity. Risky for a fellow." He says.

"Let me stop you right there, because I see what's happening here. You're finally operating again and trying to get any and every surgery you can, which is why you're trying to psych me out so I'll give you this surgery, but let me go ahead and tell you that's not happening." I say.

"Come on it'a big surgery, you could use another set of hands in the OR anyways." He says.

"Fine, I guess you can be my fellow surgeon on this case." I say as we walk to the front desk, because Owen had paged all of the attendings.

"As many of you know, Seattle Grace Mercy West has suffered a financial setback. The administration is working hard to keep the impact of that setback as small as possible. To that end, we're gonna have to initiate some cost-cutting measures. The board has hired a physician advisor to help." Owen says.

"What's a physician advisor?" Meredith asks.

"Well, she consults on maximizing effiency, streamlining processes, assessing where we can trim our budgets." Owen explains.

"Who to fire and when to fire them." Dr. Bailey says.

"She's here to advise and to help. I was hoping to introduce her in person, but she seems to be late." Owen frowns.

"Oh, on her first day? Not very efficient." I joke making everyone laugh.

"You can expect to see her in the halls, in your labs, in the OR." Owen says.

"So we're gonna have an accountant following us around in the OR's?" Derek asks.

"She's not an accountant, she is a trained surgeon. Frankly, she is here to try to help us. Thank you for your cooperation." Owen says before releasing us. Derek and I wait for Jo, my intern for the day, then we go to my patients room.

"Hey, Jimmy. Hey Carla. This is Dr. Shepherd, he's my fellow surgeon on your surgery today and this is Dr. Wilson. She'll be assisting." I say.

"Please tell me you're not married." Carla, Jimmy's sister says when she sees Derek.

"I'm afraid so." Derek laughs.

"Ignore my sister, no boundaries." Jimmy' says making us laugh.

"Headaches still bad." I ask Jimmy as I begin to examine him.

"He can barely get off the couch, he's so dizzy. Meanwhile, I have to wait on him like he's the boy prince." Carla says.

"Warms your heart, doesn't she?" Jimmy says making me laugh.

"Wilson, what are some of the symptoms of an acoustic neuroma?" I ask.

"Hearing loss, increased intracranial pressure, tingling in the face."

"And being a giant pain in the ass." Carla adds.

"Dr. Garcia, I'm so glad you agreed to do this surgery. Every other surgeon I have talked to before you wouldn't even go anywhere near this thing." Jimmy says.

"Well, we're going to run some scans and some labs and see if the tumor has progressed." I say.

"You mean it could be worse?" Carla asks.

"Well, we'll have a clearer idea once we see the scans." I say before we walk out of the room.

"See if you can switch with Ross." Derek tells Jo as we walk down the hallway, so she leaves to find him.