Chapter 51

Liliana's pov

It's been a month since Miranda and Ben's wedding now and things have been steadily changing as always around here. For starters unfortunately Adele died and Richard's been really down about it which is to be expected, but on the bright side Jackson and I have told everyone we're engaged and today is Derek's first day back as a surgeon.

"Liliana, where have you been? I've called you like a million times." Derek asks me as I'm scrubbing out from surgery.

"If you can't tell I'm just getting done with surgery. What do you need?" I ask.

"The lawyer called, they need us at the courthouse now."

"Okay, I just need to go change real quick." I say before running to the locker to change out of my scrubs and texting Jackson to tell him where I'm going, before leaving. I knew there was a possibility that the judge could make his decision today, but I honestly didn't think that he would this soon.

"Did I miss it?" Callie asks us rushing into the courtroom. "Damn it. I'm sorry. I got out of the O.R. as fast as I could, but I didn't think it was gonna happen today. Oh, god. Was it bad?" She asks. Meredith and I shake our head no, surprising her.

"It wasn't." She frowns.

"We won." Arizona says.

"He said the airline company had a history of mechanical problems with the plane. It was in public record, and the hospital should've known. He found the hospital negligent." Derek says.

"So we won? When's he gonna tell us about the award? I mean I hate to be all about the money..." Callie smiles.

"He already did." Cristina says.

"He's giving us 15 million dollars." I say.

"Whoa." Callie says shocked.

"Each." Arizona adds. We all continued to sit there shocked waiting for our lawyer to join us.

"So what happens now. The hospital just hands us a check for 15 million dollars." Meredith asks our lawyer.

"Oh, well their insurance company does and it'll probably take some time to get through all the bureaucratic rigmarole, but, yeah pending appeal, the insurance company will issue each of you a big check." She explains.

"In the meantime, I have a ping pong ball to hit." Derek says standing up.

"Yeah, I have a surgery to get to." I say as we all stand up heading for the door.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Why is everyone rushing off? This is a momentous event. Shouldn't we do something, like celebrate or okay, maybe "celebrate's", to strong a word. Dinner, we should have a dinner. Come on, we've been sitting in rooms with each other for months talking about this, and we just won. What's wrong with sitting in one more room with, with food in front of us." Callie pleads and we all reluctantly agree, before leaving to go back to the hospital. I was beyond relieved to be done with everything involving the plane crash, but it is going to take some time for me to take everything in.

"Hey baby, how did court go?" Jackson asks kissing me once he walks into the locker room where I'm getting dressed.

"We won, they're giving us 15 million dollars a piece." I say.

"Wow, that's great." He says excitedly.

"Yeah." I nod.

"You don't seem to excited."

"I am, it's just hard to wrap my head around it. I'm finally done dealing with this plane crash." I sigh.

"Well believe it, you can finally put that crash behind you." Jackson smiles wrapping his arm around me as we walk out of the locker room.