Chapter 62

Liliana's pov

"I feel like we're throwing Bailey under the bus." I sigh as we sit gathered in the lounge discussing the situation with Bailey and the infection that has spread to some of her patients.

"We are." Derek agrees.

"Come on. That's not what we're doing." Jackson disagrees as he pours him and I a cup of coffee. "Two of our patients are dead of the same post-op infection. A a third one's barely hanging on. It was time that we get the C.D.C. in here and figure this thing out." Jackson says walking over to me and handing me my coffee.

"But by treating Bailey like a criminal?" I frown.

"She hasn't done anything." Meredith adds.

"I hope that you're right. Truth is, we don't know that yet. C.D.C. is simply asking us to temporarily freeze Bailey's files." Jackson says.

"Oh, come on." Derek says shaking his head.

"And that we not discuss this investigation with her. So today, just keep your distance." Jackson says.

"Jackson, that is ridiculous." I frown.

"Also I think now's the time to put out a statement." He continues.

"No." We all say in unison.

"Whoa. Whoa. About what? I mean, we don't even know if Bailey's the source of this thing." Arizona frowns.

"If one of ours is at fault and we just sit on this information, we look like we're trying to cover something up. The only way to let the public know that we can be objective is by being transparent." Jackson argues.

"Vote." Callie says looking around the room.

"I'm just saying, people should learn the news from us." Jackson sighs.

"There's no news." Derek says.

"Okay, vote." Callie says again.

"There's no news. Yet." Jackson says.

"Vote. All in favor of no press release." Callie says and everyone raises their hand besides Jackson.

"Okay. No press release. No statement.
Clear." Callie says as Jackson rolls his eyes while sipping his coffee. After we finish discussing everything, everyone else leaves the lounge besides Jackson and I as we sit drinking our coffee.

"What was that about?" I frown as I ask him.

"What are you talking about?" He sighs.

"I'm talking about you trying to throw Bailey under the bus. You're not even trying to wait until the results come back to determine if she's at fault or not." I say,

"Liliana, she's the only doctor that has touched all three of the patients with the infection."

"But we don't know what exactly is causing the infection and you're already trying to release statements and telling everyone to avoid Bailey like she's an outsider." I frown.

"Lily, you're taking this to personal. You're thinking like a friend, not a board member." He argues.

"Of course I'm taking this personally, because Bailey isn't just some employee. She's the one who helped make me the surgeon I am today, she's been there for me since my first day working here and she officiated our wedding, so excuse me if I can't just look at this from a work perspective." I say standing up and walking out of the room. I go give Shane my charts and I send him for post-ops before going to get swabbed. All of the employees have to be swabbed so we can determine where the post-op infection is coming from.