Chapter 55

Liliana's pov

"I am telling you, once we got these doctors talking it was a horror show." Callie says as we all stand in Meredith and Derek's house.

"Shh, I just got Sofia back down." Arizona says as she joins us.

"Oh, and, uh, Portland Gen has quotas now. Yeah. It's unspoken, but it's understood that you have to churn out a certain number of procedures." Callie says, as she tells us about Pegasus, the company that plans to buy the hospital.

"And no research." I frown looking at the paperwork Callie handed me before passing it to Derek.

"Nope. Pegasus is only interested in high-volume, high-price-tag procedures. Barely any patient interaction. So no research, no innovation, no opportunity to do what it is we got into medicine to do." Callie says.

"Well, we won't let that happen to us here." Derek says.

"Oh, yeah? That's what they said at first and then the people that fought management got fired, and the rest wore down or they left. Now I don't want to leave. None of us do. You guys, come on. We have to do this. We have to buy the hospital." Callie says.

"Whoa. Hold on." Derek says.

"Maybe she's right." Meredith says.

"Just wait. What if we don't want to?" Arizona interrupts. Meredith began to text Cristina as Callie and Arizona begin to argue. "I'm sorry. It's never been my dream to run a hospital." Arizona shrugs.

"Okay. Well you might not have to run it." Callie says.

"Cristina should be here." Derek says as him, Meredith, and I stand here watching Callie and Arizona go back and forth.

"I have been texting her." Meredith says.

"I just got back to work and, Derek, you just got your hand back. Don't you want to just work?" Arizona asks.

"Work where? I don't want somebody telling me which patients I can and can't treat." Callie says.

"Or putting a stopwatch on how much time you can spend with them." Meredith says.

"Yeah. If we ran the place, we could make policy decisions based on experience. Do you..." Callie begins to say.

"Uh, no offense, but that is a naive way of putting it. The job is much harder than you think. I wanted it once, and I hated it. We should stay the course. I made a deal with Pegasus that apparently will help the sale." Derek says.

What? What deal are you talking about?" I frown.

"Nothing, it's stupid. But maybe that's how we make it work, from the inside." Derek says.

"What about Hunt? I mean, he's pushing for the Pegasus sale. He thinks it's a good deal. So what's he gonna say?" Arizona asks and before we know it we're all standing in the living room arguing about what we should do, well except for me I was just waiting for everyone to quiet down before I say anything because I'm not about to waste my time arguing.

"What are we talking about, like $100 million, $200 million?" Arizona yells.

"You know what we're talking about!" Derek yells.

"We have more than we're ever gonna be able to spend anyway. We have more than we'll ever be.." Callie yells.

"No, that's not true?" Meredith yells as everyone continues yelling over each other.

"But I don't know." Arizona argues.

"This is a massive undertaking. Nobody knows what it's gonna cost." Derek says.