Chapter 15

Jackson's pov

"No, I'm not leaving, not until you save her. Not until I know that she's okay." I yelled feeling helpless as I looked at the woman that I love laying lifeless on a gurney flat lining.

My brain was still processing how something like this is happening. What kind of maniac walks into a hospital and starts shooting doctors? How did a normal day turn into the worst day of my life.

*Flashback*

"I can't get control of this artery." Dr. Altman sighed in frustration working quickly in attempt to save our patient.

"He's crashing." Dr. Hunt said looking over at the heart monitor as the machines began beeping signaling that the patients heart was stopping.

"I need more light and another clamp." Altman says occupied with our patient as Derek rushes in.

"How's it going in here?" He asks.

"Touch and go." Owen responds.

"Avery, you got a second?" He asks looking over at me. I nod my head before walking over to him to see what he needed.

"Has anybody checked their pager?" He asks me.

"No, we've been to busy." I shake my head wondering what was so important.

'There's a shooter in the hospital." He says automatically making my heart drop. A thousand thoughts ran through my mind. Concerns for not only my own safety, but also Liliana's. My first instinct was to sprint away from the O.R. to find her, but I knew that I couldn't. "I don't want you to say a word. When the patient is stable I want you to tell Hunt and Altman that nobody goes out of here until they are told. Can u handle this?" He asks.

"Yes sir." I nod.

"Alright." He says before walking out.

"What did Shepherd want?" Hunt asks me as I return to assist with the surgery. "Dr. Avery." He calls again snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Nothing, just wanted to know how long we'll be. He needs the OR soon." I lied just trying to follow Shepherd's orders.

"Okay, get in here and suction around where Dr. Altman's working." Hunt instructs me.

I attempt to begin suctioning, but my hands were extremely shaky from nervousness, fear, worry. Every emotion that you could feel knowing that you're in a hospital with an armed shooter.

"Shaky hands Dr. Avery. You won't make it as a surgeon if you can't keep your hands still." Hunt said disapprovingly clearly judging my poor suctioning skills at the moment.

"Yes sir." I say trying to focus back on the surgery, even though I couldn't. In my mind all I could think about is Lily and rather or not she's safe. If she's found a place to hide,  if she's alone.

"Okay, he's ready for transport." Dr. Altman says after we've finished the surgery.

"Okay, Jackson get him up to ICU start warming him up." Hunt begins to say before I interrupt him.

"I can't sir." I say snatching my surgical mask off. "We can't leave here, that's what Shepherd told me. There's a shooter in the hospital we're supposed to stay here."

"There's a what?" He frowns.

"Shepherd said..."

"This patient is hypothermic. I need to get him to ICU and start warming him up, and you just thought to mention this now." Hunt frowns.

"But Shepherd said..." I tried to explain.

"You already told me what Shepherd said." Hunt says sternly. "I'll take him up myself, everyone else stay here." He instructs.