Chapter 31

Liliana's pov

8 weeks later

I'm finally returning back to work today and I'm more than excited, but I'm also a little nervous. I'm not sure how my body is going to handle standing up for hours in an OR again. To add to my nervousness I'm also meeting Jackson's mom today, since she's performing a surgery at the hospital. I'm not quite sure how it's going to go, but she can't be as bad as Jackson makes her out to be. At least I hope not.

"Are you sure you want to come back today? You could always just take another day to relax. Owen told you to take as much time as you need to recuperate." Jackson says as we get dressed for work.

"Jackson, I am fully recuperated. I have full motion in both my wrist and leg. We both know I'm ready to come back to work. You're just nervous for me to meet your mother." I said.

"If you knew my mother, you would understand why. She's intrusive and controlling." He huffs.

"I doubt she's that bad, but if she is I might as well get used to it now, because you and I are in it for the long haul." I say kissing him.

"I just don't want her to scare you away."

"Avery, I'm not going anywhere. You're the best things that's ever happened to me and even if your mom is as bad as you say she is, it isn't like she's going to be living here permanently. She's just in town for one day." I remind him.

"Yeah, you're right." He nods.

"I know, now come on we need to leave before we're late for work." I say, before we leave. As soon as we get to the hospital we get dressed in our scrubs before grabbing some coffee and joining everyone in the auditorium where Jackson's mom was about to present the patient details to all of the residents. When we make it to our seats April, Alex, Cristina, and Meredith are deep in the middle of a conversation.

"What are you guys talking about?" I ask as Jackson and I sit down.

"I was just telling everyone about Jackson's mom. I met her when I was an intern at Mercy West, she is amazing." April smiles.

"She is a lunatic." Jackson says taking a sip of his coffee.

"No, she's not. She's brilliant. She says these things that shock you, but then when you think about them later. They change your whole life." April says continuing to praise Ms. Avery.

"Or they ruin your whole life. She's toxic, she's a meddler. My mom has no boundaries. Be warned." Jackson says looking over at me.

"Be nice." April says.

"Is your mom ambidextrous? I bet you she is, all the best surgeons are." Cristina says looking at her hands.

"You know, you're speaking mighty highly of Jackson's mom. You would think you two are best friends or something." I say looking at April.

"Wait a second, how often do you talk to my mom?" Jackson asks.

"We're Facebook friends." April says.

"You're..you and my mother." Jackson frowns.

"She's a brilliant surgeon and women. She's a trailblazer."

"And she's got a stalker" I sigh making everyone laugh.

"Hey, you know what, just meet her. You'll see" April says before Jackson's mom walks on to the stage a couple of seconds later.

"Wake up everybody. I know, I know, it's grand rounds." She says gaining everyone's attention. "Where we have to sit and listen to somebody talk about how somebody did something and here's how they did it, and there's not enough coffee in Brazil for this. Well not today. Today we are going to do. Today I'm going to change a life and maybe make medical history too and I can't do it alone, so wants to step into the future with me?" She asks. My first impression of her was that she is very beautiful and she definitely had a voice and energy that gains your attention.