Chapter 19

Liliana's pov

Jackson and I were in bed sleeping when all of a sudden I felt myself falling off the bed and I heard screaming. Jackson was having a nightmare again and had knocked me off the bed which happens frequently.

"Jackson, sweetie wake up." I sigh, which he doesn't hear at all. "Jackson wake up!" I shout waking him this time.

"Charles, where's Charles?" Jackson says looking around the room thinking he's still in his dream.

"Baby calm down. You were having a nightmare. It was a dream." I assure him sitting beside him and rubbing his back soothingly.

"I'm sorry, I woke you didn't I?" He asks placing his head in his hands.

"Don't worry about that Jackson. I'm worried about you. You need to get help for this" I say. I'm really concerned about him and I wanted him to get help. He has been having nightmares pretty much every night since the shooting and I hated seeing him like this.

"Is it almost time for work?" He asks changing the subject.

"Yeah, it's 6pm." I say. We are on the night shift tonight and had to be to work by 7:30.

I got up and did my hygiene and got dressed then went to the kitchen to fix some coffee hoping it would give me some energy because all I wanted was to go back to sleep. I just hope tonight is not busy so I can catch a quick nap.

As I was sitting down drinking my coffee my phone starts ringing and I see it's Derek.

"What?" I answer.

"Why so grumpy?" He chuckles.

"Why so happy," I reply.

"Because I have some good news." He says.

"My shift is cancelled and I can go back to sleep?"

"No, even better." He says.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I got the Phillips grant." He says.

"Oh my God, really." I smile. I know how much this grant meant to Derek because he wants to work towards a Alzheimer's cure especially because the disease affected Meredith's mother.

"Yeah, really." He laughs.

"I'm so happy for you Derek." I smile.

"Thank you. This is good news for you too because you are going to be my right hand during this. While I'm focusing on research you're going to be the primary doctor over my cases." He says.

"Wait, so I'll get to operate for you?" I ask.

"A lot of the times yes. Of course Dr Nelson or I will be in the operating room with you to direct you, but you'll be doing all the hard work for the most part."

"Thank you so much Derek." I smile.

"Don't thank me you earned this. When I saw you stop that bleeder without any assistance you proved you're ready to lead." He says.

"You're the best Derek Shepherd." I say.

"I know, now get ready for your shift." He says before we both hang up.

Hearing that news automatically put me in a good mood. Being able to take lead during surgical procedures was one of the perks of being a now 5th year resident.

I waited for Jackson to come downstairs then I drove over to Meredith's to pick up her, April, and Alex since we were car pooling today.

"Nice face." I hear Jackson say to Alex as I'm driving.