Chapter 21

Liliana's pov

"Why are you in such a good mood?" Jackson asks seeing me in the hallways

"I just got done doing a successful solo craniotomy." I smile.

"Don't brag." Jackson side eyes me, obviously jealous of me getting to do so many surgeries lately.

"You asked." I smirk as we catch up to Alex, April, Meredith, and Cristina who are heading in the same direction as us.

"What is this? Everybody got paged?" Jackson asks.

"It's that time of the year again. The chicks have hatched." Alex says.

"Is that some kind of a code?" April asks.

"Those chicks." Alex says as we see a bunch of people following doctor Webber.

"First year med students, too dumb to find the toilet." Cristina smirks.

"Good morning." Richard greets us. "Behind me stand the interns and residents of tomorrow. Today you will show them what it is like to be a surgeon. When you go into surgery, they go into surgery. When they have a question, you will answer." Dr. Webber says.

"It's like court ordered community service." Cristina says.

"I would rather be picking up trash off the side of the highway." I frown before Lexie begins assigning interns.

"Fred Wilson you're with Dr. Yang, Edward Taylor you're with Dr. Avery, Kira Donnelley you're with Dr. Grey, Hudson Powell you're with Dr. Kepner, Michael Hunter you're with Dr. Garcia, Laurel Pinson.." Lexie says

"Mine." Alex says making me laugh. Of course Alex would try to pick an attractive female to mentor.

"Laurel,  you're with Dr. Karev." Lexie says"

"Yes." Alex smiles.

"Alex, she's your student for today. Don't sleep with her." I say.

"I won't, at least not here." He smirks making me shake my head.

Our students for the day come greet us, and all of us hear Dr. Webber say he will be picking chief resident soon catching our attention.

"The race for chief resident is on?" Meredith asks.

"Since when?" Alex asks.

"How long have you been evaluating us?" April asks.

"Since your first day here." Chief says making us all wonder what type of impression we had made so far.

"Okay, Michael. We are on Dr. Shepherds service, but he is in the lab working on his Alzheimer's trial today so he has left me in charge of a couple of his surgeries today and Dr. Nelson our other neuro attending will be in the OR in case anything goes wrong." I say.

"You're going to be leading the actual surgery." He asks.

"Yea, as long as it's procedure is running smoothly and there are no complications." I explain. Michael follows me to our first patients room where I explain the procedure before getting him prepped for surgery then I go get scrubbed in.

"Do you need to step a little closer? I imagine it's hard to see from back there." I tell Michael. He was standing on the side of the room and I could tell he was nervous. Your first time watching brain surgery is scary even if you're not the one operating. He steps closer to me to get a better look at the brain.

"Good job Dr. Garcia. Keep your students engaged." I hear Chief say over the intercom. I didn't even know he was in the gallery watching, but I was glad that I had impressed him .

"Thanks Chief." I smile.

"Why did you decide not to do a intersecting incision?" Michael asks.

"We try to avoid those. They take longer to heal and are more prone to infection." I explain. The surgery continues to go successful and the nurse hands me the drill and I get ready to do the burr holes.

"Wait, you're going to drill into his brain?" Michael asks.

"Not exactly into his actual brain just into the skull to relieve some pressure." I say.

"Can I videotape this?" Michael asks.

"Did we get signed paperwork from the patient approving documentation of this surgery?" I sigh rolling my eyes.

"No?" He shakes his head.

"Then there's your answer." I reply. We finish the surgery, then Michael follows me to do a tumor consult then we head to lunch. He sits with the med students while I join Cristina, Meredith, April, and Jackson.

"Okay, what is that about?" April asks. We look over and see Alex giving suturing lessons at the med student table while flirting with his student.

"Can you blame him?" Jackson asks, earning a kick from me from under the table as I side eye him.

"Ouch." He yells.

"You pig." I frown.

"I was just joking, you know I only have eyes for you." Jackson smiles giving me a kiss.

We finish up lunch then I return to work to join Nelson in surgery.

"How do you guys do this everyday? Don't you get tired of being on your feet all day"?" Michael asks.

"This is nothing. Dr. Shepherd did a 27 hour operation to remove a massive tumor a couple of months ago." I say.

"Wow." Michael says in shock.

"It seems impossible now, but when you're standing up holding that scalpel it's like time fly's. All you care about is that patient and nothing else matters." I say. The thrill of surgery, of saving a life made all the long hours and sleepless nights worth it. The feeling of being in an O.R. and operating isn't something that I could fully explain because it was indescribable.

I finish up my surgery then we go to check on post ops before calling it a day.

"You're kidding, they were evaluating us" Jackson says. We were all in the locker room and April had just told us our students had been evaluating us all day.

"Don't worry no one will read them. They'll just get filed away in a room next to the morgue." Meredith says.

Chief comes in a short while later and gives us a summary of what our students thought of us, so much for them being filed away in a room.

"The only two of you that seemed to actually teach today were Dr. Karev and Dr. Garcia." Chief says making me smile. "The rest of you failed big time." Webber says. Alex and I high five each other earning annoyed stares from everyone else which just made me laugh.

Chief resident here I come I think to myself.

Thanks for reading please comment and vote!