Chapter 71

Liliana's pov

"I still don't understand why you're doing this. Your father doesn't deserve your help." Derek says. After a lot of thinking I decided to get tested to see if I was a match to donate part of my liver to my father and of course lucky me, I am. After thinking it over I decided to be his liver donor, much to Jackson and Derek's disapproval. And today is the day of the surgery.

"Derek, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Jackson. I'm doing this, because even though I can't stand my father, I can't sit at home knowing that he's dying, especially since I know he has a son. As someone who watched her parent fall terminally ill, I won't let someone else go through that if I can prevent it." I say. I obviously don't know my brother, because I don't have a relationship with Phillip, so I don't know anything about his life in L.A., but after agreeing to this surgery, of course my brother flew down to be by Phillips side. Phillip really wanted us to meet, but I'm not ready for that. I know it's not my brothers fault, but I just don't want to meet the child that my father actually stuck around to raise, while I grew up without a father figure. It's just to emotionally draining.

"I understand. It's just. Are you sure that you really want to do this?" He asks.

"Yes, I'm sure." I nod my head. I grab Derek's hand looking at the nervous look on his face. "Derek, I'm going to be fine. Compared to all of the surgeries I've had before, this one is simple. Don't worry about me, okay?" I assure him.

"Okay." He sighs.

"Now go tend to my patients and make sure that the interns haven't killed any of them." I joke.

"Okay. I'll see you after surgery." He smiles reassuringly before leaving.

"Hey, why are you dressed in your scrubs?" I smile as Jackson walks into my room a couple of minutes later and kisses me.

"You didn't think I was going to let you go through this alone did you? I'm coming to the O.R. with you." He smiles.

"Jackson, this isn't your surgery. You can't just decide you're coming to the O.R." I smirk.

"Well I think I just did." He smirks back making me laugh.

"Okay, Garcia. We're ready for you." Bailey says walking into the room.

"Okay." I nod my head.

"Now Avery. Do I need to find you something to do?" She asks seeing that Jackson is dressed in his scrubs.

"I'm gonna sit by her head the whole time. I won't say a word." Jackson says.

"Avery, this is my O.R." Bailey reminds him.

"I respect that Dr. Bailey, but this is my wife you're cutting into."

"Okay, you can come." She agrees. Before I'm rolled away to the O.R. I'm surprisingly not nervous. I mean it feels kind of weird being awake before surgery, because whenever I had to be operated on in the past I was unconscious before I even made it to the O.R., but I've mastered the art of staying calm during times like this, so the thought of surgery doesn't really scare me. My main thought as I lay on the O.R. table is that I shouldn't even be helping my father, but like I said I'm not doing this for him. I'm doing this, because he has a son and even though I don't know him, I know how it feels to watch your parent die and if I can keep anyone else from experiencing that I will, because it's one of the most heartbreaking feelings in the world.

"Baby." I say looking over at Jackson as he holds my hand as I lay on the O.R. table getting prepped for surgery.

"Yes sweetheart." He says.