Chapter 61

Liliana's pov

"Swag bags for the Syrians:" April sighs as we stand in the attendings lounge, prepping for the doctors who are flying over from Syria, to arrive.
"Some, um, sweatshirts and baseball caps, post-its. Ooh, really cool penlights." April says shining the light as she looks at the materials we've packed.

"Ooh, those are nice." Arizona agrees.

"You're sending post-its to Syria?" Richard asks.

"Yeah, I'm working with doctors aid international. We've flown in two Syrian doctors. They're general practitioners, but now with the war, they've been recruited to staff the field hospitals. They're getting advanced trauma training with Seattle Pres, and they're here for a crash course in basic surgical skills." Owen explains.

"They need to learn what they can do quick and dirty." Arizona adds.

"They rope you in?" Chief asks her.

"Mm-hmm." She answers.

"Which must mean that..." Webber began to say.

"Yeah, they're losing a lot of kids." Arizona sighs

"Godspeed." Richard sighs before leaving the lounge.

"All right, let's get this stuff with the boxes of supplies we're sending back with them." Owen says.

"Ah, so Bailey got her genome thing funded. You got this thing funded. I need to get my cartilage project bankrolled while we still got bank." Callie says looking over at me.

"Why are you staring at me?" I frown.

"Because your husband has the biggest vote out of all of us for what projects are funded and I was just thinking maybe you could..." She begins to say before I interrupt her.

"I already know where this is going and the answer is no. You have my vote, but if you want Jackson's vote you're going to have to convince him that your project is a good investment." I say.

"Fine." Callie mumbles before my pager goes off and I leave to go meet Brooks. Derek has agreed to take her under his wing, but I kept her on my service for today since she's familiar with my post ops.

"Dr. Garcia, hey. I wanted to follow up on the patients we saw yesterday, 'cause I care." Shane says running up to me when he sees me in the hallway.

"Ross, you should be learning something else from someone else today, you're not on my service." I remind him.

"Oh, I am. I'm covering the pit, which I can do and manage your post-ops. Also, I brought you a latte." He smiles handing me the latte.

"It's not your job to bring my coffee. Your supposed to be learning about the wonders of surgery, but this is appreciated." I say taking a sip of the coffee as we stop at the front desk.

"Sorry, I'm late. I'm here. I had to get a piece of gum. I had epically bad breath. I didn't want it to bowl you over in the O.R., but I'm all set.
See." Brooks says walking over to me and opening her mouth so I can see the gum.

"For starters, there are no excuses for tardiness. I hate late, handle your business before your shift starts and also, I didn't need to see, your gum." I frown.

"Okay. Well, I'm going to check your post-ops. Anything you'd like me to look for?" She asks me.

"Ross actually already checked my post-ops." I answer.

"Spectacular." She smiles.

"Anything we should know." I ask Shane.

"Yeah, Rachel Dawson's awake."