12 MICAH

Amara wanted to continue what we had stopped when Loui came in, but I had to think about the look on his face. I could not do this right now.

"Amara, stop", I told her and she seemed to be confused: "What?"

"You should go", I said and quickly got dressed.

"Seriously?"

I just nodded and she scoffed, but I already left the room to follow Loui.

He was walking down one of the halls, until I stepped in front of him and stopped him to tell him that Amara was leaving, so he could come back.

But before I could say anything, I noticed there were tears in his eyes.

He quickly wiped them away, but it was too late, I had seen them.

Now seriously worried, I asked: "Are you okay?"

"I'm great", he lied.

I sighed: "Hey, I'm sorry about that ..."

I wondered what might have made him so upset ...

"Is it because of what Amara said?", I finally asked. "She was joking, kind of ... about you joining us. We ...we do that sometimes, but you're not like those guys, even Amara knows that."

Loui remained silent at first.

Did I really ruin this, again? We had just gotten over the fight because of the kiss at that party, which still seemed to upset Loui and now I could have destroyed my last chance to be friends with him. I wanted to be his friend. And I did not want to upset him ...

Loui sighed and apologized: "Yeah, sorry. It's stupid, I overreacted."

I frowned and suddenly had an idea: "Are you, like, just finding out you're gay or something like that?"

That could be an explanation for his weird behaviour.

Loui stared at me: "What?"

I shrugged: "I mean, you ignored me after we kissed and you still act so ... distant towards me and now ...."

Loui continued to stare at me, until he scoffed: "No, it's not that."

"But you are gay?", I asked. Just to make sure.

"Yes."

"Why did you run away, then?"

He shook his head: "Doesn't matter. Didn't we agree on forgetting about that?"

I remembered our agreement, but I would not let this go so easily: "Was it too fast?"

"No", he sighed. "I just don't want anything like that ... with you ... right now ..."

I frowned: "Okay, but ... we're roommates and we're friends, right?"

Loui nodded and smiled, so I said: "I think Amara should be gone by now, so you can sleep peacefully."